Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2013/10/01 03:35:32 UTC

Re: Release Criteria

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> One of the things I've been pondering of late is a set of release
> criteria. E.g. here is what CloudStack MUST do to be considered for
> release.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this - and have modified my
opinion somewhat. I think focusing on the act of releasing as a point
for quality is myopic. I think we should be establishing the quality
that we demand at all times in our release and master branch - and we
should actively be verifying these things before they hit those
branches.

Not enforcing that quality up front leaves us in a place to always
play catch up. So I've changed the title of this to 'Release Branch
Criteria'; and here is my first draft:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Release+Branch+Criteria

Obviously this is a draft, and needs work - and probably needs more
people actually defining what is important. I did this off of the top
of my head, and there are plenty of other functionality that remains
to be tested.  This document also probably needs  rearranging to
reflect where/when things should be tested. (I am looking at you
Prasanna :) )

Thoughts, comments, flames?

--David