Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/01 08:26:43 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Dubbo (incubating) as a Top Level Project

As there are some new subproject join the dubbo project. I think it
could be a challenge to make sure all these new sub projects are
following the Apache release rules. Did you have any plan to do this?
Maybe a release manager team could help the new committer to do the
first few release check.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
Willem, cannot agree with you any more. It is not a rocket science as you
said. It's in fact just an engineering practice. We will keep improving it
and make sure everyone follows it.

Cheers,
-Ian.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, it's a good plan that the experienced PPMC can help other new
project members.
We just need to make sure it's on the good track.

It's good to see Dubbo is near graduation by the way.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 4:27 PM Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As there are some new subproject join the dubbo project. I think it
> could be a challenge to make sure all these new sub projects are
> following the Apache release rules. Did you have any plan to do this?

I was thinking about this. IMO, the new coming projects will not be
able to do any releases because the project owners/contributors does
not have write access to it. However,  the PPMC need to keep a close
eye on the projects and the external repository like npm, pip, docker
hub, etc. to make sure there is no unapproved releases.
The Dubbo PPMC will vote them in as committers with standard Apache
way, after that the PPMC will work with them to make their first
Apache releases, just like how IPMC help Dubbo to make the releases.
Because the Dubbo community has conducted 11 releases with 7 release
managers since incubation, and the release guide is well documented[1]
with checklist and scripts. I think the Dubbo community has
demonstrated the ability to make release that complies Apache release
policy.
How do you think?

[1] http://dubbo.apache.org/en-us/blog/prepare-an-apache-release.html

> Maybe a release manager team could help the new committer to do the
> first few release check.
>
> Willem Jiang
>
> Twitter: willemjiang
> Weibo: 姜宁willem
>
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 2:52 PM Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi community,
> >
> > It looks like all the questions and concerns have been cleared.
> > If there is no other comments, I am planning to start the formal vote tomorrow.
> >
> > --
> > Best Regards!
> > Huxing

Best Regards!