Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> on 2014/06/28 12:15:20 UTC

Apache PDFBox July 2014 board report due

Hi,

find attached a quick draft of the board report we're expected to submit this
month.

@John, @Tilman
Please add something about the GSoC status.

Any further comments, objections or additions?

<draft>

The Apache PDFBox library is an open source Java tool for working with PDF
documents.

General Comments
----------------

There are no issues that require Board attention.

Community
---------

There is a steady stream of contributions and bug reports from the community.

451 (452 last report) subscribers on the user@ list
153 (157 last report) subscribers on the dev@ list

Maruan gave a presentation about PDFBox at the PDF Days Europe 2014 in cologne.
We got some positive feedback and a couple of people show some interest in our
project/community.

Releases
--------

Version 1.8.5 was released on 2nd of May 2014
Version 1.8.6 was released on 22nd of June 2014

Both are incremental bugfix releases based on PDFBox 1.8.x.

GSoC
----

TODO John & Tilman

Development:
------------

The work on our next major release is an ongoing effort. The main topics are:

- switch to java 1.6
- modularization
- replace/enhance the parser
- code cleanup
- enhance rendering

We are targeting the late summer as a rough release date for the next major release.

</draft>

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: Apache PDFBox July 2014 board report due

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

thanks for your input.

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
PDFBOX-1915: The first half of the project (which is also the core
component) has been completed successfully and the student has passed
her midterm evaluation. It is planned to commit the code within a few days.

Tilman

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
+1 - thx for taking care of this.

Maruan

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
GSoC 2014: The major components of the OCR support have been completed and the code is currently on the student’s GitHub page awaiting further integration. Student has passed their midterm and plans to work on extended features before making a commit towards the end of the project.

-- John