Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2021/05/26 12:29:02 UTC

Java 11 for HC 5.2?

Folks

How do you feel about upgrading all the way to Java 11 for the 5.2
release series and not Java 8?

I am quite certain Java 17 will be out by the time we are done with HC
5.2 development and we again will be one LTS version behind. Besides we
can keep the 5.1 release series going as long as it takes as the same
time.

Cheers

Oleg

Re: Java 11 for HC 5.2?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2021-05-27 um 22:08 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Thu, 2021-05-27 at 10:13 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:
>> Am 2021-05-26 um 14:29 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
>>> Folks
>>>
>>> How do you feel about upgrading all the way to Java 11 for the 5.2
>>> release series and not Java 8?
>>>
>>> I am quite certain Java 17 will be out by the time we are done with
>>> HC
>>> 5.2 development and we again will be one LTS version behind.
>>> Besides we
>>> can keep the 5.1 release series going as long as it takes as the
>>> same
>>> time.
>>
>> Such a tremendous change would require:
>>
>> * A major version
>
> Why is that? Why upgrade to Java 1.8 does not require a major version
> but to Java 11 does?

I'd say spread. Java 8 arrived now almost everywhere were as 11 hasn't
arrived for most because they simply see no benefit. Moreover, the
module system brings complexity during migration which Java 8 does not have.

>> * Hard facts about the benefit of Java 11 except the ALPN you
>> mentioned.
>>

> Compatibility with Java 16 onward should be benefit enough, should it
> not?

I guess it is now, isn't it?

Re: Java 11 for HC 5.2?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Java 11 for HC 5.2?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Java 11 for HC 5.2?

Posted by Carter Kozak <ck...@ckozak.net>.
+1 especially given how close we are to the next LTS java release.

Carter

Re: Java 11 for HC 5.2?

Posted by Arturo Bernal <ar...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1

Sounds great.

Arturo Bernal
arturobernalg@yahoo.com

Re: Java 11 for HC 5.2?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java 11 for HC 5.2?

Posted by "info@flyingfischer.ch" <in...@flyingfischer.ch>.
+1

Sound good to me.

Best
Markus

Re: Java 11 for HC 5.2?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2021-05-26 um 20:24 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Wed, 2021-05-26 at 10:49 -0700, Ryan Schmitt wrote:
>> -1. I think staying on JDK8 is for the best. Adoption of JDK11 has
>> been
>> quite poor, due to a lack of compelling new language features that
>> would
>> make upgrading worthwhile, and even ALPN and TLSv1.3 (the most
>> relevant
>> JDK11 features for our purposes) have now been backported to JDK8.
>
> I am shocked to have discovered that Oracle have actually added
> #getApplicationProtocol method to SSLEngine class in an a bloody patch
> release!

High user demand forced Oracle to deliver this and why upgrade if it
isn't broken and works for you?

Re: Java 11 for HC 5.2?

Posted by Ryan Schmitt <rs...@pobox.com>.
> I am shocked to have discovered that Oracle have actually added
> #getApplicationProtocol method to SSLEngine class in an a bloody patch
> release!

Right?! It was technically a "Maintenance Release" of the platform spec
(MR3), but it's still completely astonishing. I'm not sure there's any
precedent for it.

Re: Java 11 for HC 5.2?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Java 11 for HC 5.2?

Posted by Ryan Schmitt <rs...@apache.org>.
-1. I think staying on JDK8 is for the best. Adoption of JDK11 has been
quite poor, due to a lack of compelling new language features that would
make upgrading worthwhile, and even ALPN and TLSv1.3 (the most relevant
JDK11 features for our purposes) have now been backported to JDK8. I'd