Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com> on 2009/03/07 23:45:11 UTC

[DBUTILS] Version numbering (was: Java version not specified in POM)

Good catch.  :-(

Uh, if dbutils 1.1 was compatible with java 1.3, and we want to depend on
java 1.4 in the next version, do we have to call it "dbutils 2.0"?

I assume not; I think we can still call it "dbutils 1.2" even though we
depend on java 1.4 now.  Is that OK?

Similarly, could/should we call the java5 version "1.3"?  That would
certainly save time on branch management...?

Re: [DBUTILS] Version numbering

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> I believe we can call it 1.2 - as long as it's API compatible then tis good.
>
> The Java5 version is more up for debate. If the API is no longer
> compatible, then we start to lean to 2.0. Especially as calling it 2.0
> allows for more of an overhaul of API.
>
> There's also an argument that wants the package names changed for each
> major version.

The package name only needs to change if the new version is backwards
binary incompatible.

The definition is that two (or more) other open source projects
depending on the same commons project must be able to upgrade at
separate times without impacting users.

Stephen

Re: [DBUTILS] Version numbering (was: Java version not specified in POM)

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com> wrote:
> The the API in the "java5" branch is backward compatible; the generics and
> varargs are erased at compile time.  Of course, the code has to be compiled
> with target=1.5, but on a Java 1.5 VM you could swap it in and not notice
> the difference.
>
> If that lets us call it "dbutils 1.3" and avoid extra branching work, that'd
> be great.

Calling it 2.0 (and thus changing the package name) does give you more
freedom, too (remove some clutter, simplify the API, etc.).  Let's not
forget that.  Of course, that could be done post-varargs/generics.
I'm not completely familiar with the API, but usually when you
introduce a varargs method, you're replacing an existing array method
along with a one, two, and three-argument method.  I don't think those
sort of changes are backward compatible (existing code would have
"pointed" at the two-argument method for instance).  Again, I don't
know that's the case, but just wanted to make sure.

Re: [DBUTILS] Version numbering

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Yep, branches are cheap.  This is a good approach!

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Liam Coughlin <ls...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com> wrote:
> "NEEDS" is a little strong....  I think there's room in the world for a
> backwards-compatible dbutils 1.3 with generics and varargs followed shortly
> afterward by a more thoroughly re-worked dbutils 2.0.

That sounds like a good approach.  Don't leave too many folks out in
the cold.  Good thinking!

Re: [DBUTILS] Version numbering

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
Liam Coughlin wrote:

> the code NEEDS to change though, and not in a backwards compatible way.  Do
> whatever is appropriate with version numbers to indicate that non-binary
> compatible changes are coming.

"NEEDS" is a little strong....  I think there's room in the world for a
backwards-compatible dbutils 1.3 with generics and varargs followed
shortly afterward by a more thoroughly re-worked dbutils 2.0.

-Dan

Re: [DBUTILS] Version numbering

Posted by Liam Coughlin <ls...@gmail.com>.
the code NEEDS to change though, and not in a backwards compatible way.  Do
whatever is appropriate with version numbers to indicate that non-binary
compatible changes are coming.

Cheers,
-L

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.