Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/06/21 21:21:23 UTC

Podling roster not refreshing?

https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/pulsar

It shows two members as not on the committers.  I got an error the first
time I did it, then did it from the IPMC screen and it worked without
error, but now this page isn't reloading.

John

Re: Podling roster not refreshing?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 12:35 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 June 2017 at 16:57, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

>>> But even had that issue already been completed, won't there be a
>>> transitional period when some TLPs use the old code and some the new?
>>
>> I may not have been clear.  When I said "once things are complete", I
>> meant more than that one issue.  That issue is revolved, so I will
>> move whimsy over to the new structure, probably later today.
>>
>> This means that cn=whimsy,ou=groups,dc=apache,dc=org will go away.
>
> Won't it also mean the end of the PMC group, i.e.:
>
> cn=whimsy,ou=pmc,ou=committees,ou=groups,dc=apache,dc=org
>
>> When fully done, cn=*,ou=groups,dc=apache,dc=org will go away.
>
> Plus presumably the PMC groups ?

Yes, when done, there will only be one LDAP dn per project.  I've just
done such for whimsy, and am looking into and fixing minor breaks as I
find them.

>> Unfortunately, moving whimsy is not going to tell us much.  Every
>> committer to whimsy is an ASF member, so we won't really be testing
>> ponymail for example.
>
> That's a very good point.
> I think that needs to be investigated soon.
> (Although in theory l.a.o is still an experimental service, in
> practice it would cause a lot of annoyance if PMC members lost access
> to private mails.)
>
> AFAIK there is no access to the auth code used by the 3rd party that
> runs the service, so it would require co-ordination to get any
> necessary changes included.

I believe that those changes are in place.  Untested, of course.

> Testing the auth change would require a PMC with a non-ASF member.
>
>> Suggestions for other PMCs or other ways to
>> test this before making the change globally would be appreciated.
>
> JMeter might be a suitable candidate.
> It uses SVN,  and has a mix of PMC and non-PMC committers.
> Not all PMC members are ASF members.

Indeed.  Can we shoot for Tuesday?  I have plans this weekend, and
will be driving back on Monday.  If there are any real problems, I can
undo the change quickly.  Ideally, a non-PMC member of the JMeter PMC
could join me on the whimsy channel on HipChat (or equivalently, we
can create a #whimsy IRC channel temporarily on freenode, I care not).

> Also I have a test login (testsebb).
> At present that is not even a committer and so cannot use much of Whimsy.
> But it could be granted Whimsy PMC status temporarily.
> That would allow testing of lists.a.o authorization amongst other things.
>
> And/or you could get yourself an alias for such testing.
>
>>> Also AFAICT the code that references the LDAP groups will still need
>>> to be fixed.
>
> That is still true until all podlings and PMCs have been migrated.

If things work out with JMeter, there should be no reason to wait.  At
a minimum, I can add the new dn's even we decide that deleting the old
dn's is too risky.

>>> At present the model/view code makes assumptions about how to find
>>> committers and members.
>>> That functionality should be centralised.
>>>
>>> Probably the main code should not refer directly to any of the LDAP
>>> classes (except - perhaps - the public.json scripts)
>>
>> This code definitely could use more refactoring.

>> - Sam Ruby

- Sam Ruby

Re: Podling roster not refreshing?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 6:32 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 June 2017 at 02:36, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

>>> I found at least one place using the wrong method:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/13640dfc20400c0c188a2c82a6bcc5a4ca66edc1
>>>
>>> I think there are more.
>>
>> Unfortunately, things are changing, and things are stalled.
>>
>> Once things are complete, the following should no longer be necessary:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/13a67db920bb5539841b7bf27978b8bc205b1864
>>
>> Meanwhile, things are stalled waiting on
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-14386.  Simply put, I
>> don't want to move any more PMCs to the new structure until the new
>> account request function updates the correct information.
>
> But even had that issue already been completed, won't there be a
> transitional period when some TLPs use the old code and some the new?

I may not have been clear.  When I said "once things are complete", I
meant more than that one issue.  That issue is revolved, so I will
move whimsy over to the new structure, probably later today.

This means that cn=whimsy,ou=groups,dc=apache,dc=org will go away.

When fully done, cn=*,ou=groups,dc=apache,dc=org will go away.

Unfortunately, moving whimsy is not going to tell us much.  Every
committer to whimsy is an ASF member, so we won't really be testing
ponymail for example.  Suggestions for other PMCs or other ways to
test this before making the change globally would be appreciated.

> Also AFAICT the code that references the LDAP groups will still need
> to be fixed.
> At present the model/view code makes assumptions about how to find
> committers and members.
> That functionality should be centralised.
>
> Probably the main code should not refer directly to any of the LDAP
> classes (except - perhaps - the public.json scripts)

This code definitely could use more refactoring.

>>> I don't think that's the case here.

>> - Sam Ruby

- Sam Ruby

Re: Podling roster not refreshing?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 7:54 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 June 2017 at 00:05, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 21 June 2017 at 22:21, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/pulsar
>>>
>>> It shows two members as not on the committers.  I got an error the first
>>> time I did it, then did it from the IPMC screen and it worked without
>>> error, but now this page isn't reloading.
>>
>> Looks like maybe the code is not using the ou=project LDAP correctly
>> as the names are in the member list for incubator.
>
> I found at least one place using the wrong method:
>
> https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/13640dfc20400c0c188a2c82a6bcc5a4ca66edc1
>
> I think there are more.

Unfortunately, things are changing, and things are stalled.

Once things are complete, the following should no longer be necessary:

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/13a67db920bb5539841b7bf27978b8bc205b1864

Meanwhile, things are stalled waiting on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-14386.  Simply put, I
don't want to move any more PMCs to the new structure until the new
account request function updates the correct information.

>> Note that Infra recently changed the URL for infra-puppet without
>> warning; this may have borked things.
>
> I don't think that's the case here.
>
>> I have updated repository.yml; hopefully that will be sufficient to fix things.
>> If not, it may need root karma on Whimsy to sort out.
>>
>>> John

- Sam Ruby

Re: Podling roster not refreshing?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 22 June 2017 at 00:44, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 7:05 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 21 June 2017 at 22:21, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/pulsar
>>>
>>> It shows two members as not on the committers.  I got an error the first
>>> time I did it, then did it from the IPMC screen and it worked without
>>> error, but now this page isn't reloading.
>>
>> Looks like maybe the code is not using the ou=project LDAP correctly
>> as the names are in the member list for incubator.
>>
>> Note that Infra recently changed the URL for infra-puppet without
>> warning; this may have borked things.
>>
>> I have updated repository.yml; hopefully that will be sufficient to fix things.
>> If not, it may need root karma on Whimsy to sort out.
>
> Fixed to match repository.yml.  This was not automatic, and did indeed
> require root.  If it is something that is likely to reoccur, I can add
> code to check to see if the url changed in repository.yml and do a
> clean clone.

I had to change the yml again; apparently it's supposed to be:

https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-puppet.git

for read-only access.

I would hope that's the last change...

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 7:05 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 June 2017 at 22:21, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/pulsar
>>
>> It shows two members as not on the committers.  I got an error the first
>> time I did it, then did it from the IPMC screen and it worked without
>> error, but now this page isn't reloading.
>
> Looks like maybe the code is not using the ou=project LDAP correctly
> as the names are in the member list for incubator.
>
> Note that Infra recently changed the URL for infra-puppet without
> warning; this may have borked things.
>
> I have updated repository.yml; hopefully that will be sufficient to fix things.
> If not, it may need root karma on Whimsy to sort out.

Fixed to match repository.yml.  This was not automatic, and did indeed
require root.  If it is something that is likely to reoccur, I can add
code to check to see if the url changed in repository.yml and do a
clean clone.

>> John

- Sam Ruby

Re: Podling roster not refreshing?