Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Marco Spinetti <m....@pisa.iol.it> on 2001/01/30 08:52:04 UTC

Cocoon stability: for cocoon-developers

Hi all
I have developed a portal and some services using Cocoon. To improve the performances I have installed Cocoon 1.8.2, as Xslt processor the Saxon6.1, and Jdk 1.3. In this way I obtain some good times of answer. My question is now another. Our site does 600000 Page-Views well at the day: is Cocoon able to work well with this load? How can I to optimize it?
Marco
m.spinetti@pisa.iol.it

Re: Cocoon stability: for cocoon-developers

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Marco Spinetti wrote:

> I have developed a portal and some services using Cocoon. To improve
> the performances I have installed Cocoon 1.8.2, as Xslt processor the
> Saxon6.1, and Jdk 1.3. In this way I obtain some good times of answer.
> My question is now another. Our site does 600000 Page-Views well at
> the day: is Cocoon able to work well with this load? How can I to
> optimize it?

it depends on much more data than you've given us, and much more than
we're willing to analyze, frankly. you don't mention what processor(s)
you're using, nor which operating system, nor how much memory you have,
nor how much memory is allocated to the cocoon cache. roughly speaking, if
you're on a 486dx66 with 8M of RAM, you're probably going to experience
poor performance. if you're on a sun enterprise 10k with 16 processors and
64G of RAM, you're probably going to experience very good performance.
without that kind of data, anything we tell you is going to be practically
meaningless.  with that data, anything we tell you is going to be a wild
guess. so is cocoon able to work well with this load? you tell us!

(maybe someone should think about doing a cocoon test suite and having
people submit their architectures and results - this question comes up
alot, in different variations)

as far as how to optimize it - fiddle with your jvm settings, fiddle with
your servlet engine settings, fiddle with the cocoon cache settings,
fiddle with your stylesheets. if you find something that works remarkably
well, share it with us.

- donald