Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Thierry Lam <la...@pcigeomatics.com> on 2005/04/19 15:56:31 UTC

Lots of user issues

I just started using log4cxx version 0.97 yesterday on Windows XP and
I'm experiencing the following issues:

1)

Using log4cxx on Release mode with my cpp codes work fine, but I get
memory leaks on Debug mode.  Any suggestion?

2)

The following (file, line) option doesn't show up properly, I'm
following the example from the
http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/manual/Introduction.html

Here's what I want: INFO [main] (MyApp2.cpp:31) - Entering application.
Here's what I get:   INFO [main] (:-1) - Entering application.

3)

I can't call the following methods, I get compiled errors:

#define LOG4CXX_DEBUG(logger, msg) ...
 #define LOG4CXX_INFO(logger, msg) ...
 #define LOG4CXX_WARN(logger, msg) ...
 #define LOG4CXX_ERROR(logger, msg) ...
 #define LOG4CXX_FATAL(logger, msg) ...

Instead, I have to call the Logger methods directly.

4)

I'm also having trouble accessing the Source Tree( AnonCVS ) to get the
latest version of log4cxx.  CVS is complaining that 'connection refused'

The following doesn't work:

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic login

password: anoncvs

Any help please?

Thanks

Thierry

Re: Lots of user issues

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Apr 19, 2005, at 8:56 AM, Thierry Lam wrote:

> I just started using log4cxx version 0.97 yesterday on Windows XP and
> I’m experiencing the following issues:
> 1)
>
> Using log4cxx on Release mode with my cpp codes work fine, but I get
> memory leaks on Debug mode.  Any suggestion?

log4cxx 0.9.7 has many known problems that have been addressed in the
CVS HEAD.  Most reported memory leaks have been in code that has been
substantially modified.  However that the moment the CVS HEAD is broken
on Windows, though that should be fixed within a day or two.  Pulling a
revision from 31 March 2005 should work.

> 2)
>
> The following (file, line) option doesn’t show up properly, I’m
> following the example from the
> http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/manual/Introduction.html
> Here’s what I want: INFO [main] (MyApp2.cpp:31) - Entering application.
> Here’s what I get:   INFO [main] (:-1) - Entering application.

log4cxx 0.9.7 did not maintain location information and would output ""
and -1 for file and line respectively, this has been fixed in the CVS
HEAD.

> 3)
>
> I can’t call the following methods, I get compiled errors:
> #define LOG4CXX_DEBUG(logger, msg) ...
>  #define LOG4CXX_INFO(logger, msg) ...
>  #define LOG4CXX_WARN(logger, msg) ...
>  #define LOG4CXX_ERROR(logger, msg) ...
>  #define LOG4CXX_FATAL(logger, msg) ...
>
> Instead, I have to call the Logger methods directly.

Could you provide sample code and the specific error messages that you
are getting?  Can you compile the sample applications?

> 4)
>
> I’m also having trouble accessing the Source Tree( AnonCVS ) to get
> the latest version of log4cxx.  CVS is complaining that ‘connection
> refused’
>
> The following doesn’t work:
>
> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic login

Can you try again?  Can you access other CVS servers (SourceForge?).  I
just attempted it and did not have a problem, but it may have been down
or possibly a firewall or other network issue.