Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by jieryn <ji...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/12 20:52:13 UTC

Model Version 5.0.0 - nested properties

It would be convenient to have nested property support for advanced
inheritance configuration. An example might be best:

<project>
  <properties>
    <foo>
      <bar>baz</bar>
    </foo>
  </properties>
</project>

Where ${project.foo.bar} interpolates as baz. I find that I often want
to group configuration properties in a corporate POM, and then allow
child projects to override just the property version in order to
customize the task at hand. Where we might see plugin.XX,
plugin.configuration.YY, and plugin.execution.configuration.ZZ tiers
of properties.

Even with some nebulous future mixin support, I still see value in
this nested property system.