Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Briggs, Chris" <Ch...@uk.fid-intl.com> on 2007/09/05 09:36:00 UTC

Error running mod_perl on Apache within FreeBSD jail

I am running Apache 1.3 in a FreeBSD jail which works as expected.

Next I added in mod_perl 1.0 by installing, adding the entry to the
httpd.conf file to load dynamically and copy across the libraries to the
jail.

I also copied the usr/bin/perl file and the directories under perl5 to
the jail, however apache will no longer start as it is displaying an
error as follows:

Can't open perl script "/dev/null": Operation not supported

I have tried removing and recreating the /dev/null device in the jail,
(as it was already there and working for the standard Apache install)
but to no avail. Any ideas as to what to try next - is anyone else using
Apache/Perl in a FreeBSD jail, I want to make the server secure as it
will be storing confidential data, however, perhaps there is a better
way.

Thank you in advance for any help

Chris

Important: Fidelity Investments International (Reg. No.1448245),
Fidelity Investment Services Limited (Reg. No. 2016555), Fidelity
Pensions Management (Reg. No. 2015142) and Financial Administration
Services Limited (Reg. No. 1629709, a Fidelity Group company) are all
registered in England and Wales, are authorised and regulated in the UK
by the Financial Services Authority and have their registered offices at
Oakhill House, 130 Tonbridge Road, Hildenborough, Tonbridge, Kent TN11
9DZ. Tel 01732 361144. Fidelity only gives information on products and
does not give investment advice to private clients based on individual
circumstances. Any comments or statements made are not necessarily those
of Fidelity. The information transmitted is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you received this in error, please contact the
sender and delete the material from any computer. All e-mails sent from
or to Fidelity may be subject to our monitoring procedures. Direct link
to Fidelity's website -
http://www.fidelity-international.com/world/index.html

Re: Error running mod_perl on Apache within FreeBSD jail

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.
Briggs, Chris wrote:
> I am running Apache 1.3 in a FreeBSD jail which works as expected.
>
> Next I added in mod_perl 1.0 by installing, adding the entry to the
> httpd.conf file to load dynamically and copy across the libraries to the
> jail.
>
> I also copied the usr/bin/perl file and the directories under perl5 to
> the jail, however apache will no longer start as it is displaying an
> error as follows:

the Perl binary isn't relocatable (at least up to 5.10) so I don't think
that you can just copy the binary, and the libraries and it will just
work.  I'm not too familiar with how bsd jails work, but you might want
to try downloading perl and compiling from source within the jail, and
doing the same for mod_perl and Apache.

Does free bsd have a decent virtual machine that you could use instead
of a jail?  Then you would be able to avoid this problem.  Chroot jails
are old and busted, virtualization is the new hotness, at least that's
what I've heard.

- Fred