Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Brian Bouterse <bm...@ncsu.edu> on 2009/02/17 16:35:17 UTC

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

I wanted to revisit this thread, because no conclusion was reached.
The current status is that after much discussion on the list, no name
changes were proposed, or ratified.

There are ASF naming guidelines located here.  Personally, I interpret
this as a non-issue because the NCSU service is called the "Virtual
Computing Lab," and the ASF project name is "VCL" which is not the same.

What do you think?

my 2 cents,
Brian

Brian Bouterse
Secure Open Systems Initiative
919.698.8796

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Feb 19, 2009, at 7:03 AM, Brian Bouterse wrote:

> Within the world of apache nothing.  Do all acronyms drip with
> meaning in Apache or do some just pick a few letters?

You're being coy with me.  It's obvious that the meaning of VCL is the
same as what NCSU uses.

> There hasn't been a lot of discussion on this topic, yet it needs
> resolution.  When does this get put to vote?

You will not get my binding vote.  I suspect you may have difficulty
getting other binding votes when you try to push this issue through in
this manner.

Regards,
Alan

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?