Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Danny McCormick via dev <de...@beam.apache.org> on 2023/04/17 13:56:12 UTC

Beam Release DockerHub Group

Hey everyone, in an effort to reduce the burden of running a Beam release,
a few committers (self included) have volunteered to try to take a larger
role in releases (including both running them and contributing to making
them better going forward). To aid in that process, I would like to request
that they all be added to our Beam DockerHub group. Those committers are:

- damccorm
- jrmccluskey
- kennknowles
- lostluck
- abacn

At the same time, Infra would like us to reduce the number of people with
DockerHub seats to 5 because they have a limited number of seats for all
of Apache. Currently, we have 2 groups taking up 10 seats: Beam admin and
Beam maintainers.

Beam admin has admin privileges over most (though not quite all) of our
DockerHub repos and includes:

- aaltay
- hannahjiang
- kileysok
- pabloem
- robertwb

Beam maintainers has write privileges and some additional admin privileges
and includes:

- aaltay
- chamikaramj
- kennknowles
- kileysok
- robertwb

To get down to 5 seats, I propose we consolidate to a single group with
admin privileges and add just the committers I mentioned since they will
likely be the most actively involved in the release process in the short
term. A future goal of mine is to automate the DockerHub release steps so
that we just need 2 dockerhub seats: 1 for the automation and 1 for an easy
manual fallback (probably for the PMC chair).

If you have any concerns (or would like to help with this effort), please
respond here. Otherwise I will follow up with infra to make this change in
a day.

Thanks,
Danny

Re: Beam Release DockerHub Group

Posted by Ahmet Altay via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.
Thank you for doing this!

I try to stay engaged with the releases and would be happy to be kept on
this list. At the same time I agree with Robert, release managers should
take precedence over PMC members if we cannot get the number to 6.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.

Posted by Danny McCormick via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.

Posted by Danny McCormick via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.