Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by JR McVicker <jr...@cornerstone.edu> on 2017/03/03 15:58:39 UTC

How to create a redirect?

Good morning.  I am trying to setup a redirect using Apache Tomcat but I
have not located any clear directions on how to set one up.

When I go to https://webadvisor.cornerstone.edu my page does not load.   If
I take out https and replace it with http the page loads and it uses https.

--
JR McVicker
Infrastructure Engineer|Information Technology

Re: How to create a redirect?

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
On 03.03.2017 16:58, JR McVicker wrote:
> Good morning.  I am trying to setup a redirect using Apache Tomcat but I
> have not located any clear directions on how to set one up.
>
> When I go to https://webadvisor.cornerstone.edu my page does not load.

Can you be a bit more specific ? what /does/ happen in that case ?

> If
> I take out https and replace it with http the page loads and it uses https.

That would tend to indicate that there is already some form of redirect happening.

Suggestion : use a browser with a plugin/add-on allowing you to trace and follow the real
exchanges between browser and webserver (even the ones you don't normally see).
In Firefox, the Web Developer Extension provides a "Network Inspector" that may be useful.
For older IE, there exists a "Fiddler2" extension.
Google Chrome has it built-in ("More tools").

Re: How to create a redirect?

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 7:58 AM, JR McVicker <jr...@cornerstone.edu> wrote:

> When I go to https://webadvisor.cornerstone.edu my page does not load.   If
> I take out https and replace it with http the page loads and it uses https.

And it's using a non-standard port:

https://webadvisor.cornerstone.edu:8443/WAPROD/WebAdvisor?TYPE=M&PID=CORE-WBMAIN&TOKENIDX=9075473998

A plain "https://whatever/" URL requires that your SSL server use
port 443 (natively, via proxy, iptables, etc.)

twitter: @hassan