Posted to users@asterixdb.apache.org by Pääkkönen Pekka <Pe...@vtt.fi> on 2015/10/08 06:48:43 UTC

Socket feed questions

Hi,

I would like to experiment with a socket-based feed.
Can you point me to an example on how to utilize them?
Do I need to install 0.8.7-snapshot version of AsterixDB in order to experiment with feeds?

Regards,
-Pekka Pääkkönen

Re: Socket feed questions

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.
Hey there Pekka,
Your intuition is correct, most of the newer feeds features are in the
current master branch and not in the (very) old 0.8.6 release. If you'd
like to experiment with them you'll have to build from source. The details
about that are here:
https://asterixdb.incubator.apache.org/dev-setup.html#setting-up-an-asterix-development-environment-in-eclipse
, but they're probably a bit overkill for just trying to get the compiled
binaries. For that all you really need to do is :
- Clone Hyracks from git
- 'mvn clean install -DskipTests'
- Clone AsterixDB
- 'mvn clean package -DskipTests'
Then, the binaries will sit in asterix-installer/target

 For an example, the documentation shows how to set up a feed that's
ingesting Tweets:
https://asterix-jenkins.ics.uci.edu/job/asterix-test-full/site/asterix-doc/feeds/tutorial.html

Thanks,
-Ian