Posted to dev@distributedlog.apache.org by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/18 20:04:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] DP-8: Symlinked Log

Hi all,

I created a proposal for supporting symlinks in Dlog, in order to migrate a
namespace from flat namespace to a hierarchical namespace.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DL/DP-8+-+Symlinked+Log

Please take a look and let me know your thoughts.

- Sijie

Re: [DISCUSS] DP-8: Symlinked Log

Posted by Leigh Stewart <ls...@twitter.com.INVALID>.
Another issue is that things like rename go far beyond the dl core library
- the eb/dl client refers to backend streams by name, so any config change
needs to take the entire stack into account.
I agree this begs for better modeling of things like stream name and other
configuration, but this work may end up being a fairly large project.

So the capabilities of metadata reconfiguration is kind of limited by the
> features offered by the metadata store. For example, zookeeper doesn't
> support rename operations.

There are things we can do though here, for example copies/renames in
transactions. Copying metadata to the same zk server actually might be
better than simlink in some ways, although less flexible.

Dan, do you have any ideas yet about how general purpose reconfiguration
might work?

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Benediktson <db...@twitter.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Leigh Stewart <ls...@twitter.com.INVALID>.