Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Julian Reschke <re...@apache.org> on 2016/10/26 13:13:29 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Plan for disruptive changes to Jackrabbit WebDAV library

Hi there,

context: <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-2406>

(<http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/>), which as been end-of-lifed
quite some time ago.

This will affect our public API, which extends classes from it.

The current plan is to add a new set of APIs (probably based on
HttpClient 4.5.x) in the next stable Jackrabbit release 2.14, planned to
be released in Spring 2017. At that point, we'll also deprecate the old
classes.

Later on, we would *remove* the httpclient 3.x dependency and the old
classes -- the plan would be to do that in the subsequent stable
release: Jackrabbit 2.16, which could come out in Spring 2018.

At that point, users of the old API can:

- either continue using Jackrabbit 2.14.*, or

- update their own code to work with Jackrabbit 2.16.*.

Feedback appreciated -- either here, or in
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-2406>.

Best regards, Julian

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Plan for disruptive changes to Jackrabbit WebDAV library

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2016-10-26 15:13, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> context: <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-2406>

> (<http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/>), which as been end-of-lifed
> quite some time ago.
>
> This will affect our public API, which extends classes from it.
>
> The current plan is to add a new set of APIs (probably based on
> HttpClient 4.5.x) in the next stable Jackrabbit release 2.14, planned to
> be released in Spring 2017. At that point, we'll also deprecate the old
> classes.
>
> Later on, we would *remove* the httpclient 3.x dependency and the old
> classes -- the plan would be to do that in the subsequent stable
> release: Jackrabbit 2.16, which could come out in Spring 2018.
>
> At that point, users of the old API can:
>
> - either continue using Jackrabbit 2.14.*, or
>
> - update their own code to work with Jackrabbit 2.16.*.
>
> Feedback appreciated -- either here, or in
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-2406>.
>
> Best regards, Julian

Hi there, here's an update:

1) I have added individual tasks to
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-2406>. Most of them are
supposed to happen before we cut 2.14. The actual removal of the
HttpClient3 code would happen when we release 2.15.0.

2) For those interested, the actual work is happening in
<https://github.com/reschke/jackrabbit/tree/JCR-2406>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2016-10-27 08:27, Tobias Bocanegra wrote:
> Great.
> Let me know if you need help :-)
>
> On a related topic, what is the test coverage of jackrabbit webdav?
> IIRC, we used to run litmus against it. Is this still a valid test?
>
> Regards, Toby

It's tested implicitly when using spi2dav or jcr2dav...

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org>.
Great.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org>.