Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by raxpl <ra...@ANGLESEY.GOV.UK> on 2006/09/10 18:57:03 UTC

postgres as core database...

hi list,
I've found quite a few postgres postings but I might have missed it if it's
already come up.
My question is: is it practical to think about implementing postgres as an
integrated database engine in geronimo (doing what Derby is doing now and
what ever else is needed) ? I suspect this might be a real headache to
implement, but I'm just asking...
Sent from the Apache Geronimo - Users forum at Nabble.com.

Re: postgres as core database...

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I don't think this should be impossibly difficult.

I just checked in trunk and the only modules that use  system-
database are activemq-broker and openejb.  I think the openejb
dependency must be a mistake, I'll look into it.  The activemq-broker
dependency is real, but you'd probably want to run activemq off of
postgres also anyway.

The minimum possible work to do would be to replace the existing
system-database module/config with a new one with exactly the same
name (possibly a different version) that connects to postgres.  Name
the datasource the same and things just might work :-)

Slightly cleaner would be to deploy a new module with a more
descriptive name and also deploy modified activemq-broker and
activemq modules that use it for jdbc persistence.   Depending on the
openejb dependency you might need to redeploy that too.

I wonder if we can use plugins somehow to make this swap simpler?

thanks
david jencks