Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/25 02:22:24 UTC

[compress] Moving forward...

Is the following a correct summary of the current state of compress:

* Tar, BZip2 and Zip libraries (taken from Ant). The Tar one was
originally Tim Endres' public domain ice library.
* VFS release is held up by lack of a stable/promoted compress.
* Maven (in plexus at codehaus) have a fork of compress with bugs fixed.
* Chris has an archive bridging API that would fit well at the top of compress
* Will has zip updating available
* 4 issues in Bugzilla
* I have an issue mailed to me privately that I need to put in bugzilla

Anything I missed?

Hen

Re: [compress] Moving forward...

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.

Re: [compress] Moving forward...

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> In short: i would like to keep the new, clean, documented build bridge,
> and enhance it with plexus features after it's stable.
I made a quick look at plexus and I think you are right, there isnt much
difference (though, it depends on some object lookup facility which is
not available outside - so only problems ;-) ) and there isnt much we
can win after you already refactored the stuff.

---
Mario

Re: [compress] Moving forward...

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.

Re: [compress] Moving forward...

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [compress] Moving forward...

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 4/24/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > * Maven (in plexus at codehaus) have a fork of compress with bugs fixed.
>
> Maven uses plexus-archiver, which has the same ancestry (from Ant) but
> is not a fork. It provides an archive bridging API, which I hope is
> inspiring the compress one - though I'm still yet to find time to sit
> down with it and poke around :(

Oops, sorry.

http://svn.plexus.codehaus.org/trunk/plexus-components/plexus-archiver/ btw.

How does that compare to what you have Chris?

Re: [compress] Moving forward...

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.