Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Luca Maragnani <lu...@zeropiu.it> on 2007/06/11 12:25:32 UTC

SOAP and slow connection

Hi,
I need to test a SOAP application using SlowSocket to simulate real
users links.
So I modified jmeter.properties to use HTTPSampler2 and setted the cps
property.

Last, to get it work I had to overwrite in a custom library
SlowHttpClientSocketFactory because the createSocket method returned
always a null value.

    public Socket createSocket(String arg0, int arg1, InetAddress arg2,
int arg3, HttpConnectionParams arg4)
            throws IOException, UnknownHostException,
ConnectTimeoutException {
        return new
SlowSocket(JMeterUtils.getPropDefault("httpclient.socket.http.cps",
0),arg0,arg1);
    }

That's not really the best solution... but works better than a null
socket :)
Is there a nicer way to get slow connection simulation working with the
SOAP Sampler (and maybe other samplers...)?
Thank you in advance.

Luca

Re: SOAP and slow connection

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

Tried a test - HTTPSampler2 also fails if the slow socket is enabled,
so obviously the unimplemented method is now needed.

I've added the missing code in SVN r546346; this will be in a nightly
build shortly.

Thanks for reporting the problem - no need to file a Bugzilla report now.

I still need to fix the HTTPS version (not sure that ever can have worked).

S.

Re: SOAP and slow connection

Posted by Luca Maragnani <lu...@zeropiu.it>.

Re: SOAP and slow connection

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/06/07, Luca Maragnani <lu...@zeropiu.it> wrote:
> Thank you Sebb.
>
> sebb wrote:
> > Which version of JMeter are you using?
> >
> > Which SOAP sampler are you using?

Are you using SOAP/XML-RPC or WebService (SOAP) ?

> I'm using version 2.2 from stable downloads (for both SOAP Sampler and
> SlowHttpClientSocketFactory).
> >> Last, to get it work I had to overwrite in a custom library
> >> SlowHttpClientSocketFactory because the createSocket method returned
> >> always a null value.
> >
> > Yes - I did not bother implementing the method, as it was not needed
> > for HTTPSampler2, but it should really have have thrown a NotSupported
> > exception...
> >
> I tried to find in trunk repository

The trunk is old; the current code is in branches/rel-2-2.

> org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.util.SlowHttpClientSocketFactory but
> it's no longer there. Documentation tell nothing about
> any exception in createSocket
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/api/org/apache/jmeter/protocol/http/util/SlowHttpClientSocketFactory.html),
> so I think it lacks at least in version 2.2.

I meant that the method should have thrown an Exception instead of
returning null.

> >> Is there a nicer way to get slow connection simulation working with the
> >> SOAP Sampler
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by nicer - if the null method is fixed, does
> > the SOAP sampler work OK?
> >

> I mean that the code I wrote in previuos post is the quickest dirty
> solution. Accessing cps configuration for http exclude the https setting
> and even trying to understand setting from port is not correct... so I
> think other parameters are needed. Last but not least, this code does
> not honour the HttpConnectionParameters.

OK, understood.

> I confirm that if the null method is fixed, SOAP Sampler works with slow
> socket.

But which SOAP Sampler ... (see above)

Re: SOAP and slow connection

Posted by Luca Maragnani <lu...@zeropiu.it>.
Thank you Sebb.

Re: SOAP and slow connection

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/06/07, Luca Maragnani <lu...@zeropiu.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to test a SOAP application using SlowSocket to simulate real
> users links.

Which version of JMeter are you using?

Which SOAP sampler are you using?

> So I modified jmeter.properties to use HTTPSampler2 and setted the cps
> property.
>
> Last, to get it work I had to overwrite in a custom library
> SlowHttpClientSocketFactory because the createSocket method returned
> always a null value.

Yes - I did not bother implementing the method, as it was not needed
for HTTPSampler2, but it should really have have thrown a NotSupported
exception...

>    public Socket createSocket(String arg0, int arg1, InetAddress arg2,
> int arg3, HttpConnectionParams arg4)
>            throws IOException, UnknownHostException,
> ConnectTimeoutException {
>        return new
> SlowSocket(JMeterUtils.getPropDefault("httpclient.socket.http.cps",
> 0),arg0,arg1);
>    }
>
> That's not really the best solution... but works better than a null
> socket :)

Please file a Buzgilla report so it does not get forgotten.

> Is there a nicer way to get slow connection simulation working with the
> SOAP Sampler

Not sure what you mean by nicer - if the null method is fixed, does
the SOAP sampler work OK?

Perhaps there should be a separate property for slow SOAP sockets.
And/or a GUI field for the CPS value on all the samplers that support it?

> (and maybe other samplers...)?

The SlowSocket feature can only work where it is possible to override
the SocketFactory - so it cannot work with the Java HTTP sampler - but
I guess it could be added to at least some other samplers.

Feel free to create a Buzilla enhancement request.