Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Lo...@log-net.com on 2006/02/28 14:05:39 UTC

0.20.3 to 0.91b migration log messages

During my upgrade from 0.20.3 to 0.91, I have been keeping a list of new
log messages and rendering issues/errors and my investigation into their
causes.  I am listing them below for two reasons:

1.  To elicit feedback from anyone who may have insight or a solution.
2.  To build a thread containg a common list that can be referred to when
someone has a problem during implementation.

The issues below are only the most common that I am seeing in the majority
of my documents.  Happily, I have hit very few major issues during my
regression testing of 0.91.  I will upgrade the list as necessary.

Please feel free to comment, add, remove or solve.

-Lou

My list so far:

No message, but external image scaling is mucked up.
Solution:  Add content-height and content-width to external-graphic
Example:
Before:  <fo:external-graphic scaling="uniform" height="10mm"
src="{$imgURL}"/>
After:  <fo:external-graphic content-height="scale-to-fit"
content-width="scale-to-fit" scaling="uniform" height="10mm"
src="{$imgURL}"/>

INFO  [LayoutManager] table-layout="fixed" and width="auto", but
auto-layout not supported => assuming width="100%"
Solution:  Add width attribute to table tag
Example:
Before:  <fo:table table-layout="fixed">
After:  <fo:table table-layout="fixed" width="100%">

WARN  [LayoutManager] TODO Add collapsed border painting for spanned cells
Solution:  None - this looks like a debugging message.
Example:
Before:
After:

WARN  [LayoutManager] static-content overflows the available area.
Solution:  Adjusting content area and still investigating.
Example:
Before:
After:

ERROR [FONode] fo:table-body must not be empty. Expected: marker*
(table-row+|table-cell+)
Solution:  Quite obvious, but still investigating.  This was previously
silently ignored and it looks like the table still renders OK.
Example:
Before:
After:

WARN  [FONode] Warning(Unknown location): fo:table, table-layout="auto" is
currently not supported by FOP
Solution:  Add table-layout and width attribute to table tag
Example:
Before:  <fo:table>
After:  <fo:table table-layout="fixed" width="100%">

10:01:48,302 WARN  [FONode] Warning(Unknown location): fo:table-column, In
the separate border model (border-collapse="separate"), borders cannot be
specified on a fo:table-column, but a non-zero value for border was found.
The border will be ignored.
Solution:  Tried border-collapse="collapse" but no good - still
investigating.
Example:
Before:
After:
Notes:  See
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-property-border-collapse
This is a showstopper unless a workaround is found.

WARN  [BreakingAlgorithm] Line 1 of a paragraph overflows the available
area. (fo:block, "WITopt")
Solution:  None - this is due to data overflowing the cell.
Example:
Before:
After:

INFO  [TableContentLayoutManager] break-after found
Solution:  None - this looks like a debugging message.
Example:
Before:
After:

WARN  [BreakingAlgorithm] Part/page 1 overflows the available areain
block-progression dimension. (fo:static-content, "Copyright ⌐ 1993-2006
LOG-NET, INC. Confidential")
Solution:  Fix size.
Example:
Before:
After:

WARN  [FOTreeBuilder] Mismatch: simple-page-master
(http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format) vs. layout-master-set
(http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format)
Solution:  Still investigating.
Example:
Before:
After:
This is a showstopper unless fixed.

WARN  [FOTreeBuilder] Mismatch: simple-page-master
(http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format) vs. root
(http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format)
Solution:  Still investigating.
Example:
Before:
After:
This is a showstopper unless fixed.

WARN  [FONode] Warning(Unknown location): fo:table-row, fo:table-row does
not have padding (see the property list for fo:table-row in XSL 1.0), but
a non-zero value for padding was found. The padding will be ignored.
Solution:  Remove superfluous row padding.
Example:
Before:
After:

WARN  [ColumnSetup] There are fewer table-columns than are needed. Column
2 was accessed although only 1 columns have been defined. The last defined
column will be reused. (fo:table, "XXX:, yyy")
Solution:  User error - Found erroneous number-columns-spanned="3" in
table with only one column defined
Example:
Before:
After:

WARN  [ColumnSetup] Please note that according XSL-FO 1.0 (7.26.9) says
that the 'column-width' property must be specified for every column,
unless the automatic table layout is used.
Solution:  User error - Found erroneous number-columns-spanned="3" in
table with only one column defined
Example:
Before:
After:

WARN  [TableContentLayoutManager] The contents of row 1 are taller than
they should be (there is a block-progression-dimension or height
constraint on the indicated row). Due to its contents the row grows to
72028 millipoints, but the row shouldn't get any taller than
MinOptMax[min=opt=max=56692] millipoints. (fo:table-row, "DATA HERE")
Solution:  Adjust height according to the content or use height.minimum
instead of height but this affects the size of the row - needs more
investigation
Example:
Before:
After:

Re: 0.20.3 to 0.91b migration log messages

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Sounds good.

On 02.03.2006 14:31:38 Louis.Masters wrote:
> Anyone have a preference of where they would like to see the Wiki?  I was
> going to create another section under "Pages for FOP users" entitled
> "Troubleshooting" and then call the Wiki page
> "Troubleshooting/CommonLogMessages" but I'm not real sure of the
> etiquette.
>
> Advice would be appreciated.
<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: 0.20.3 to 0.91b migration log messages

Posted by Clay Leeds <we...@mac.com>.
That sounds fine to me! I don't think it fits well under HowTos or
the other sub sections. Thank you for making the contribution!

On Mar 2, 2006, at 5:31 AM, Louis.Masters@log-net.com wrote:
> Anyone have a preference of where they would like to see the Wiki?
> I was going to create another section under "Pages for FOP users"
> entitled "Troubleshooting" and then call the Wiki page
> "Troubleshooting/CommonLogMessages" but I'm not real sure of the
> etiquette.
>
> Advice would be appreciated.
>
> -Lou

Clay Leeds
webmaestro@mac.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: 0.20.3 to 0.91b migration log messages

Posted by Lo...@log-net.com.
Anyone have a preference of where they would like to see the Wiki?  I was
going to create another section under "Pages for FOP users" entitled
"Troubleshooting" and then call the Wiki page
"Troubleshooting/CommonLogMessages" but I'm not real sure of the
etiquette.

Advice would be appreciated.

-Lou

Louis.Masters@log-net.com
02/28/2006 10:10
Please respond to
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: 0.20.3 to 0.91b migration log messages

Will do.

On a positive note, I figured out the cause of the following two issues:

WARN  [FOTreeBuilder] Mismatch: simple-page-master (
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format) vs. layout-master-set (
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format)
WARN  [FOTreeBuilder] Mismatch: simple-page-master (
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format) vs. root (
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format)

They are related to another message that seems to sporadically get
swallowed up by the JBoss logger (hence why I did not put 2+2 together):

ERROR (Unknown location): For fo:simple-page-master, fo:region-body must
be declared before fo:region-before.

You just need to correctly order the regions in simple-page-master like
so:

                        <fo:region-body margin-top="113mm"
margin-bottom="91mm"/>
                        <fo:region-before extent="112mm"/>
                        <fo:region-after
region-name="xsl-region-after-first" extent="90mm"/>

User error strikes again.

I'll update the list and create the Wiki page.

-Lou

Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
02/28/2006 08:30

Please respond to
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: 0.20.3 to 0.91b migration log messages

Lou, would you mind adding all this to a new Wiki [1] page? I'll gladly
help fill in the gaps. Having it in the Wiki allows the document to live
and everyone to participate.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/

On 28.02.2006 14:05:39 Louis.Masters wrote:
> During my upgrade from 0.20.3 to 0.91, I have been keeping a list of new

> log messages and rendering issues/errors and my investigation into their

> causes.  I am listing them below for two reasons:
>
> 1.  To elicit feedback from anyone who may have insight or a solution.
> 2.  To build a thread containg a common list that can be referred to
when
> someone has a problem during implementation.
>
> The issues below are only the most common that I am seeing in the
majority
> of my documents.  Happily, I have hit very few major issues during my
> regression testing of 0.91.  I will upgrade the list as necessary.
>
> Please feel free to comment, add, remove or solve.
>
> -Lou
>
> My list so far:

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: 0.20.3 to 0.91b migration log messages

Posted by Lo...@log-net.com.
Will do.

On a positive note, I figured out the cause of the following two issues:

WARN  [FOTreeBuilder] Mismatch: simple-page-master
(http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format) vs. layout-master-set
(http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format)
WARN  [FOTreeBuilder] Mismatch: simple-page-master
(http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format) vs. root
(http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format)

They are related to another message that seems to sporadically get
swallowed up by the JBoss logger (hence why I did not put 2+2 together):

ERROR (Unknown location): For fo:simple-page-master, fo:region-body must
be declared before fo:region-before.

You just need to correctly order the regions in simple-page-master like
so:

                        <fo:region-body margin-top="113mm"
margin-bottom="91mm"/>
                        <fo:region-before extent="112mm"/>
                        <fo:region-after
region-name="xsl-region-after-first" extent="90mm"/>

User error strikes again.

I'll update the list and create the Wiki page.

-Lou

Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
02/28/2006 08:30
Please respond to
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: 0.20.3 to 0.91b migration log messages

Lou, would you mind adding all this to a new Wiki [1] page? I'll gladly
help fill in the gaps. Having it in the Wiki allows the document to live
and everyone to participate.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/

On 28.02.2006 14:05:39 Louis.Masters wrote:
> During my upgrade from 0.20.3 to 0.91, I have been keeping a list of new

> log messages and rendering issues/errors and my investigation into their

> causes.  I am listing them below for two reasons:
>
> 1.  To elicit feedback from anyone who may have insight or a solution.
> 2.  To build a thread containg a common list that can be referred to
when
> someone has a problem during implementation.
>
> The issues below are only the most common that I am seeing in the
majority
> of my documents.  Happily, I have hit very few major issues during my
> regression testing of 0.91.  I will upgrade the list as necessary.
>
> Please feel free to comment, add, remove or solve.
>
> -Lou
>
> My list so far:

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: 0.20.3 to 0.91b migration log messages

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Lou, would you mind adding all this to a new Wiki [1] page? I'll gladly
help fill in the gaps. Having it in the Wiki allows the document to live
and everyone to participate.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/

On 28.02.2006 14:05:39 Louis.Masters wrote:
> During my upgrade from 0.20.3 to 0.91, I have been keeping a list of new
> log messages and rendering issues/errors and my investigation into their
> causes.  I am listing them below for two reasons:
>
> 1.  To elicit feedback from anyone who may have insight or a solution.
> 2.  To build a thread containg a common list that can be referred to when
> someone has a problem during implementation.
>
> The issues below are only the most common that I am seeing in the majority
> of my documents.  Happily, I have hit very few major issues during my
> regression testing of 0.91.  I will upgrade the list as necessary.
>
> Please feel free to comment, add, remove or solve.
>
> -Lou
>
> My list so far:

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: 0.20.3 to 0.91b migration log messages

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

<snip/>

> FYI: Agreed, and has already been modified in FOP Trunk. Nils Meier
> recently raised an issue on fop-dev which made me revise this.
> Currently, it is phrased as follows
>
> "In the separate border model, borders are not applicable to fo:table-
> column, but a non-zero value for border was found."

This is an improved wording and makes sense to me.

<snip/>

> Hmm, if the user specified those borders, he/she would expect them to
> have some effect on the ouput (?)

Yes they would expect the border to appear in the output.

> Maybe this warning should just be removed altogether?

I think the warning should remain with the revised wording above.

Chris

Re: 0.20.3 to 0.91b migration log messages

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Feb 28, 2006, at 14:48, Glen Mazza wrote:

> Louis.Masters@log-net.com wrote:
>
>> 10:01:48,302 WARN  [FONode] Warning(Unknown location): fo:table-
>> column, In the separate border model (border-collapse="separate"),
>> borders cannot be specified on a fo:table-column, but a non-zero
>> value for border was found. The border will be ignored.
>
> I don't like this phrasing.  One can place (specify) any property
> on any FO.  (See first sentence of Chapter 5.[1])  I wonder if the
> FOP developer who did this is mistaking FO Tree properties (where
> the users can set whatever properties they want) with area traits
> (in which certain traits will indeed be ignored or set to zero, as
> per the spec.)

FYI: Agreed, and has already been modified in FOP Trunk. Nils Meier
recently raised an issue on fop-dev which made me revise this.
Currently, it is phrased as follows

"In the separate border model, borders are not applicable to fo:table-
column, but a non-zero value for border was found."

It's more meant as a reminder to people that, unless they're using
border="from-table-column()" on their fo:table-cells, those borders
will have no effect whatsoever, so the solution is: remove all border-
specs from the columns, and the warning will go away... unless, they
*are* using them as described, of course.

Hmm, if the user specified those borders, he/she would expect them to
have some effect on the ouput (?)

Maybe this warning should just be removed altogether?

Anyone?

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: 0.20.3 to 0.91b migration log messages

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@apache.org>.
Louis.Masters@log-net.com wrote:

> 10:01:48,302 WARN  [FONode] Warning(Unknown location): fo:table-column,
> In the separate border model (border-collapse="separate"), borders
> cannot be specified on a fo:table-column, but a non-zero value for
> border was found. The border will be ignored.

I don't like this phrasing.  One can place (specify) any property on any
FO.  (See first sentence of Chapter 5.[1])  I wonder if the FOP
developer who did this is mistaking FO Tree properties (where the users
can set whatever properties they want) with area traits (in which
certain traits will indeed be ignored or set to zero, as per the spec.)

 > WARN  [FONode] Warning(Unknown location): fo:table-row, fo:table-row
 > does not have padding (see the property list for fo:table-row in XSL
 > 1.0), but a non-zero value for padding was found. The padding will be
 > ignored.
 > Solution:  Remove superfluous row padding.

This is a much better phrasing.  It states a fact (this property will be
ignored) while not incorrectly stating that the user *cannot* set this
property.

Glen

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#refinement