Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/28 13:18:49 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1834544 - /httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/STATUS

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 11:00 PM,  <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> +  *) event: based on the commit log ("use a subpool of pchild since skiplist
> +     allocations will happen across threads and are only protected from
> +     other skiplist operations.", per sf's review comments), it sounds like this
> +     should be backported.
> +     trunk patch: http://svn.apache.org/r1588806
> +     2.4.x patch: http://home.apache.org/~jailletc36/backport_1588806.patch
> +     +1:

Hmm, timer_skiplist seems to be used only when g_timer_skiplist_mtx is
locked, am I missing something?

Re: svn commit: r1834544 - /httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/STATUS

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 3:24 PM, Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 9:18 AM Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 11:00 PM,  <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > +  *) event: based on the commit log ("use a subpool of pchild since skiplist
>> > +     allocations will happen across threads and are only protected from
>> > +     other skiplist operations.", per sf's review comments), it sounds like this
>> > +     should be backported.
>> > +     trunk patch: http://svn.apache.org/r1588806
>> > +     2.4.x patch: http://home.apache.org/~jailletc36/backport_1588806.patch
>> > +     +1:
>>
>> Hmm, timer_skiplist seems to be used only when g_timer_skiplist_mtx is
>> locked, am I missing something?
>
> IIUC the risk is colliding with someone else using pchild w/ similar
> locking around just their own use of it.

Oh I see, there shouldn't be much activity on pchild during runtime
but indeed apr_skiplist could race with legal things like
apr_pool_create(..., pchild).

I wonder if apr_skiplist shouldn't handle a subpool by itself though,
by the time this patch is simple enough so I'm +1.

Re: svn commit: r1834544 - /httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/STATUS

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.