Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Scott DeLoach <sc...@lucent.com> on 2000/09/07 19:44:48 UTC

XalanCommandLine returns file not found error

When I execute the FOP XalanCommandLine option, I always get an error
saying that the .xml file was not found:

>  C:\>java org.apache.fop.apps.XalanCommandLine test.xml test.xsl test.pdf
>  FOP-0_14_0
>  using SAX parser org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
>  transforming to xsl:fo markup
>  test.xml; Line 0; Column 0
>  XSL Error: Could not parse test.xml document!
>  XSL Error: SAX Exception
>  FATAL ERROR: File "test.xml" not found.

BUT, if I do the following, it always works:

>  C:\>java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -in test.xml -xsl test.xsl -out test.fo
>  C:\>java org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLine test.fo test.pdf

Why doesn't XalanCommandLine work when I am able to use Process &
CommandLine on the same files to get the desired .pdf output?

Re: XalanCommandLine returns file not found error

Posted by Fotis Jannidis <fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>.
The patch provided be Karen seems to work fine and I've committed
it. Maybe someone who had problems before could test the latest
version of XalanCommandLine?

Thanks Karen!

Fotis

Re: XalanCommandLine returns file not found error

Posted by Karen Lease <kl...@club-internet.fr>.
Fotis Jannidis wrote:

> From:                   Scott DeLoach <sc...@LUCENT.COM>
>
> > When I execute the FOP XalanCommandLine option, I always get an error
> > saying that the .xml file was not found:
> >
> > >  C:\>java org.apache.fop.apps.XalanCommandLine test.xml test.xsl test.pdf
> > >  FOP-0_14_0
> > >  using SAX parser org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
> > >  transforming to xsl:fo markup
> > >  test.xml; Line 0; Column 0
> > >  XSL Error: Could not parse test.xml document!
> > >  XSL Error: SAX Exception
> > >  FATAL ERROR: File "test.xml" not found.
> >
> > BUT, if I do the following, it always works:
> >
> > >  C:\>java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -in test.xml -xsl test.xsl -out test.fo
> > >  C:\>java org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLine test.fo test.pdf
> >
> > Why doesn't XalanCommandLine work when I am able to use Process &
> > CommandLine on the same files to get the desired .pdf output?
>
> I am looking into this. I think it has already been debated on this list,
> but the mail archive is still down (does anybody know when it will be
> up again. I has been a very valuable source of information), so if
> somebody knows the solution to this problem, please tell me.
>
> Fotis

Hi Fotis,

A couple of weeks ago, Ken Holman wrote about a similar problem.

"G. Ken Holman" wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> Please excuse me if this has already been covered, I've only just
> resubscribed to this list after a 5-month hiatus.
>
> I set up similar invocation batch files for the Java-based Apache
> processors and found an inconsistency:  when specifying the name of a
> stylesheet file residing on another drive, I'm obliged in FOP to include
> "file:\" prefix, while with Xalan I'm not.
>
> I prefer not having to use the prefix because arbitrarily adding it doesn't
> work for relative path names on the current directory.
>
> Can FOP be changed to not require this prefix?
>
> Thanks!

I looked into it and found the following.

When the Xalan Process class is invoked
directly, it does a lot of complicated processing on its arguments to
turn them into proper URLs; FOP uses a much simpler approach, and
therefore it doesn't handle this case correctly.

I actually tested a patch of the XalanCommandLine, but since I am
running on Linux and not Windows, I wanted someone to test it out. Here
it is again (although perhaps XalanCommandLine has changed since I did
this diff???)

I hope this helps,
Karen

please! need fast answer!

Posted by Rikard Herlitz <Ri...@excosoft.se>.
Still no answer if there is a way of making an instream-foreign-object inline?
I need to draw svg-pics inline...

have been using XEP until now, but switched to FOP cause I need SVG...need to
complete a work for _tomorrow_!!

need to format medical surveys with lots of I_I_I_I_I fields in between text...

please help me!

thanks!
/Rikard

Re: XalanCommandLine returns file not found error

Posted by Fotis Jannidis <fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>.
From:           	Scott DeLoach <sc...@LUCENT.COM>