Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by James Higginbotham <jh...@betweenmarkets.com> on 2003/03/21 21:27:41 UTC

RE: Code and design sharing (was: Using a file upload form to add content to slide)

Ryan,

Over the past couple of months of actively using Slide, and even a few
months prior while doing preliminary analysis, that there are a number
of projects going on using Slide to accomplish the same thing - a CMS
system. I have a proposal to make, but I'm not quite sure yet how to
execute - ideas are greatly welcomed.

I'd like to see one or more of the following things take shape soon for
the benefit of all:

1) Construct a method of sharing ideas, design, and maybe even code in
the process of generating a java-based, Slide backed CMS solution that
can take on the likes of PHP/script-kiddie solutions that are out there
2) If any code is generated that is to be shared, we can determine if it
makes sense to do a GPL and keep it out of commercial solutions (I know
some folks here are doing commercial or closed source so not sure if
this makes sense) or an LGPL
3) Any code changes required to the Slide codebase can be conquered and
submitted easier and faster without duplication as we each tackle our
own projects (i.e. divide and conquer to meet the common needs of our
projects if bugs or refactorings need to be made to Slide)

These things could be accomplished using the following techniques, in
any combination:

1) A WIKI tool for publishing ideas, until such time as we can host our
own CMS platform (eat our own dog food) if we decide to put together a
CMS-reference implementation
2) A Sourceforge project for sharing code via CVS, tasks, tools, etc.
3) This mailing list (could be as simple as that) to exchange thoughts,
ideas, etc.

Thoughts, ideas, feedback?! Anyone from the Slide team have any
suggestions as to how we may be able to leverage the apache
cvs/tools/etc. to make this happen rather than kicking off yet another
project on sf?

James