Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Paul Douglas Franklin of Yakima UGM <pd...@yugm.org> on 2008/02/06 20:20:22 UTC

Body vs headers

I have noticed that spammers are putting dead giveaways into some of the
headers which are not checked with the body rules.  Specifically, I
received an email with a sender name that was obviously spam.  I hit
reply so that the sender name was replicated in the body and then
changed the to: back to myself.  When I sent it, SA flagged it as spam
based on the presence of that sender name in the body.
I know that it treats the subject as part of the body.  Is there any way
to have it apply all body rules to the other headers as well?
--Paul

--
Paul Douglas Franklin
Computer Manager, Union Gospel Mission of Yakima, Washington

Re: Body vs headers

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 20:15 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
> Paul Douglas Franklin of Yakima UGM wrote:
>
> > I have noticed that spammers are putting dead giveaways into some of
> > the headers which are not checked with the body rules.  Specifically,
> > I received an email with a sender name that was obviously spam.
>
> How did you determine that the sender name made the email "obviously
> spam" ?

Well, a few typical examples I've seen in the past couple hours (email
addresses munged):

 Cilais <--...@example.net>
 Ciails <-u...@example.net>
 Amazing Watches <us...@example.net>
 Most Trusted Replica <us...@example.net>
 Cartier Replica <us...@example.net>

However, even though spammers seem to shift some "body" into the user
visible From header, as far as I am concerned, I don't really see a need
to make SA treat the real-name part as body. The Subject tends to hold
the same [1] info. As does the body.

All those examples are really big scorers anyway -- score of 16+, Bayes
confidentiality of 99%, and they hit at least one known-to-be-good
blacklist (IP and URI).

  guenther

[1] Well, or similar. I have seen advertisement for Replica Watches
    (Subject) with a From of Replica Purses. And vice versa. ;)

Re: Body vs headers

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
Paul Douglas Franklin of Yakima UGM wrote:

> I have noticed that spammers are putting dead giveaways into some of
> the headers which are not checked with the body rules.  Specifically,
> I received an email with a sender name that was obviously spam.

How did you determine that the sender name made the email "obviously
spam" ?

/Per Jessen, Zürich