Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Amit Kelkar <am...@postmodern.com.au> on 2001/11/13 16:00:57 UTC

REPOST: NEED HELP URGENT:: internet explorer nullifies session on open new window

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.
Thanx for the valuable info!

Mvgr,
Martin

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.

Posted by David Hamilton <da...@financity.co.uk>.
Would that be a P3P issue?

Posted by Jim Urban <ji...@netsteps.net>.
Speaking of not accepting cookies, that may become common place.  Check this
out from eWeek...

COOKIE FLAW LEAVES IE USERS VULNERABLE TO ATTACKS

A newly discovered flaw in the way that Internet Explorer
handles Web site cookies could enable an attacker to view
and edit a user's personal data contained in the cookies.
The vulnerability affects all versions of IE, but is
mitigated by several factors, according to a bulletin
released last week by Microsoft Corp. Under normal
operation, Web sites are only able to access the cookies for
their site on a given user's machine. By crafting a URL with
specific contents, an attacker could gain access to cookies
for other sites and edit the contents of the files by
injecting a script. To read the story, click here:
http://eletters1.ziffdavis.com/cgi-bin10/flo?y=eMVO0Cn5RF0E4J0bQh0An

Jim

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.

Re: Tomcat 4.0.1 install issues

Posted by Steve Vu <st...@yahoo.com>.
I had a similar problem accessing .jsp pages on a
Linux box so don't know if this will apply to W2k but
hopefully it will help.

My problem was that I (the one who starts/stops
Tomcat) did _not_ have write permission to the
$TOMCAT_HOME/work directory.  This is what Tomcat uses
to create the servlet class files for each jsp file.
Once I changed the ownership of this directory, I was
able to access jsp pages.
--- "John M. Corro" <jo...@cornerstone.net>
wrote:
> Newbie question....
>
> Attempting to install Tomcat 4.0.1 on a W2K
> workstation box and am running
> into some issues that some others may have run into.
>  I currently have
> v3.2.3 on my box and am looking to migrate to
> v4.0.1.  I followed the deploy
> steps for Windows:
> 1. Unzipped to <tomcat4.0.1> directory
> 2. Set an environment variable pointing to a jdk1.3
> install called
> 'JAVA_HOME'
> 3. Opened command line prompt to <tomcat4.0.1>\bin
> and executed startup.bat
> (did not set env. variable for CATALINA_HOME or
> CATALINA_BASE, but according
> to the catalina.bat documentation that is optional)
> 4. Opened http:localhost:8080
>
> I was able to view the opening HTML index page, but
> when I attempted going
> to some example JSP pages (ie I clicked on the "JSP
> Examples" link on the
> left) to confirm it was working I got the following
> exception:
>
> type: Status report
> message: /jsp/
> available.
>
> Strangely, this was  404 error too.  I was sure not
> to modify the classpath.
> Did some digging around and was hard pressed to find
> archived posts w/
> similar problems.  Thought I'd ask the experts.

=== message truncated ===

Tomcat 4.0.1 install issues