Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2017/12/26 19:01:02 UTC

maven-archiver build on Jenkins - Test Failures

Hi,

currently I'm observing a strange thing..cause the build on Jenkins
produces test failure with JDK 9

https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven-archiver/job/master/5/consoleFull

The problem I'm currently having is that I can't reproduce this..

I have tested with Maven 3.5.2 and JDK 9.0.1 without any problem on my
Mac ...

Is someone out there who can check the current state of maven-archiver
git repo on Windows and can reproduce the issue ?

It would be great..Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: maven-archiver build on Jenkins - Test Failures

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

I have found a line of code which I might misunderstand...

https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-archiver.git;a=blob;f=src/main/java/org/apache/maven/archiver/MavenArchiver.java;h=66d93536d8c77fef66194841362cfca18a460e0c;hb=HEAD#l124

         if ( hasManifestEntries )
         {

             for ( Map.Entry<String, String> entry : entries.entrySet() )
             {
                 String key = entry.getKey();
                 String value = entry.getValue();
                 Manifest.Attribute attr =
manifest.getMainSection().getAttribute( key );
                 if ( key.equals( "ClassPath" ) && attr != null )
                 {
                     // Merge the user-supplied Class-Path value with
the programmatically
                     // created Class-Path. Note that the user-supplied
value goes first
                     // so that resources there will override any in the
standard Class-Path.
                     attr.setValue( value + " " + attr.getValue() );
                 }
                 else
                 {
                     addManifestAttribute( manifest, key, value );
                 }
             }
         }

The line "key.equals( "ClassPath" )" which from my point of view should
contain "Class-Path" instead of "ClassPath" ?

WDYT ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: plexus-archiver / plexus-util Issue

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thu 11 Jan 2018 at 18:47, Plamen Totev <pl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 12/28/2017 10:16 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 28/12/17 20:46, Stephen Connolly wrote:
> >> But shouldn’t we be copying the last modified time stamp always anyway
> >
> > I'm the same opinion...but that means in consequence that the test in
> > plexus-archiver is not correct...cause it's waiting for a change in the
> > last-modified time ...
> >
> > Hm...
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Karl Heinz Marbaise
> >

> Plexus Archiver tests are using file copy operation to change the
> "last modified" timestamp of a file. This of course is not a perfect
> approach but I don't think there was better one pre-Java 7. But now as
> Java 7 is the minimum required version, there is
> Files#setLastModifiedTime that does better job. I've created a PR that
> changes the incompatible code[1]. It will allow the update of Plexus
> Utils to 3.1.0 as well.
>
> > After I have changed that and only use
> >
> >     public static File copy( File source, File target )
> >         throws IOException
> >     {
> >         Path copy = Files.copy( source.toPath(), target.toPath(),
> >                    StandardCopyOption.REPLACE_EXISTING,
> >                    LinkOption.NOFOLLOW_LINKS );
> >         return copy.toFile();
> >     }
> >
> > it looks like working (see branch issue-fix):
> >
> > What Do you think?
>
> The Plexus Archiver tests were not using `copy` for its intended
> purpose so the decision if the file attributes are copied should not
> be based on their usage. To me it makes more sense to copy the
> attributes, although copying the last modified timestamp may surprise
> some evelopers (like me for example) as `cp` on Linux updates the last
> modified timestamp of the copy.

Ahh but extraction from an archive should preserve the archive time stamp...

And dir-to-dir copy is really just archive-unarchive without the
intermediate archive file ;-)

> Regards,
> Plamen Totev
>
> [1]  https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-archiver/pull/77

Sent from my phone

Re: plexus-archiver / plexus-util Issue

Posted by Plamen Totev <pl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

On Thu 28 Dec 2017 at 14:52, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after diving more into this..
>
> I found that if I upgrade plexus-utils to 3.1.0 in plexus-archiver the
> tests in plexus-archiver stuck completely...as I already observed (which
> I though was another cause)...
>
> https://travis-ci.org/codehaus-plexus/plexus-archiver/jobs/321821294
>
> So more diving into the details I realized that the following code in
> plexus-utils causes the issue:
>
> FileUtils.java:
>
>      private static void doCopyFile( File source, File destination )
>          throws IOException
>      {
>          // offload to operating system if supported
>          if ( Java7Detector.isJava7() )
>          {
>              doCopyFileUsingNewIO( source, destination );
>          }
>          else
>          {
>              doCopyFileUsingLegacyIO( source, destination );
>          }
>      }
>
> The real issue is located in the implementation of doCopyFileUsingNewIO
> which uses:
>

>      public static File copy( File source, File target )
>          throws IOException
>      {
>          Path copy = Files.copy( source.toPath(), target.toPath(),
>                     StandardCopyOption.REPLACE_EXISTING,
>                     StandardCopyOption.COPY_ATTRIBUTES,
>                     LinkOption.NOFOLLOW_LINKS );
>          return copy.toFile();
>      }
>
> and If I correctly understand the whole thing is the real cause of that
> based on the usage of StandardCopyOption.COPY_ATTRIBUTES which includes
> copying of the last-modified of the file...which means not to change the
> last-modified entry of the file and in result that is the reason of not
> changing it and the stucking of the unit test in plexus-archiver...(see
> travis build above)..
>

> After I have changed that and only use
>
>      public static File copy( File source, File target )
>          throws IOException
>      {
>          Path copy = Files.copy( source.toPath(), target.toPath(),
>                     StandardCopyOption.REPLACE_EXISTING,
>                     LinkOption.NOFOLLOW_LINKS );
>          return copy.toFile();
>      }
>
> it looks like working (see branch issue-fix):
>
> What Do you think?
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Sent from my phone

plexus-archiver / plexus-util Issue

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Plamen Totev <pl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Plamen Totev <pl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
[6]:
https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven-archiver/job/master/6/testReport/

--
Sent from my phone

Re: maven-archiver build on Jenkins - Test Failures

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I have set the command line to ignore failing tests, then the junit
reporter marks the build as unstable based on the test results

You should be able to see the 27 failing tests from [6]

On Tue 26 Dec 2017 at 21:59, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> Interesting...
>
> The pipeline steps[1] say all succeeded, however #6 overview[2] complaints
> about failing tests.
>
> Robert
>
> [1]
>
> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven-archiver/job/master/6/flowGraphTable/
> [2]
> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven-archiver/job/master/6/
>
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 20:44:35 +0100, Karl Heinz Marbaise
> <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > I will try and see the result..
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Karl Heinz
> >

> > On 26/12/17 20:27, Robert Scholte wrote:
> >> The job starting quite some time ago. Maybe better to kill the it and
> >> start over again.
> >> I had trouble visiting builds.apache.org this afternoon, could be
> >> related.
> >>  thanks,
> >> Robert

> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven-archiver/job/master/5/consoleFull

Sent from my phone

Re: maven-archiver build on Jenkins - Test Failures

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Interesting...

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Robert,