Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by stockii <st...@googlemail.com> on 2011/09/14 11:55:35 UTC

Schema fieldType y-m-d ?!?!

is it possible to index a datefield in the format of "y-m-d" ? i dont need
the timestamp. so i can save me some space.

which ways exists to search with a complex date-filter !?

-----
------------------------------- System ----------------------------------------

One Server, 12 GB RAM, 2 Solr Instances, 7 Cores,
1 Core with 31 Million Documents other Cores < 100.000

- Solr1 for Search-Requests - commit every Minute  - 5GB Xmx
- Solr2 for Update-Request  - delta every Minute - 4GB Xmx

RE: Schema fieldType y-m-d ?!?!

Posted by "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Ja...@dot.wi.gov>.
Just add a bogus 0 timestamp after it when you index it.  That is what we did.  Dates are not stored or indexed as characters, anyway, so space would not be any different one way or the other.

JRJ

Re: Schema fieldType y-m-d ?!?!

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Strings, especially if you sort, facet, etc, will be significantly
more costly in terms
of memory requirements. Doesn't mean you can't, just be aware of the fact...

Best
Erick

Re: Schema fieldType y-m-d ?!?!

Re: Schema fieldType y-m-d ?!?!

Posted by Alexei Martchenko <al...@superdownloads.com.br>.
If you don't need date-specific functions and/or faceting, you can store it
as a int, like 20110914 and parse it in your application....

but I don't recommend... as a rule of thumb, dates should be stored as
dates, the millenium bug (Y2K bug) was all about 'saving some space'
remember?

Re: Schema fieldType y-m-d ?!?!

Posted by "tamanjit.bindra@yahoo.co.in" <ta...@yahoo.co.in>.
What we did was get the date from db, and stored it in a string fieldType in
the format yyyymmdd. It works fine for us, as range query works just fine.