Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2005/09/09 23:12:42 UTC

Re: svn commit: r279511

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 09:47 -0400, Tim Williams wrote:
> I've reverted my changes as requested.

Hmm.

> I'll lay low until I see where
> you're going with this.  Perhaps I don't understand views as well as I
> thought,

Actually I am quite convinced that you actually *do* understand views
and where they are heading to. I am watching your commits and they are
the way I would do it given the current situation.

The mails you have wrote about views are describing them really well and
you took the time (which was a lot I guess) to follow and describe the
view processing. We really appreciate this work and I reckon you learned
a lot while doing it (because we learned a lot reading it carefully)!
Maybe more people should follow this example if they are curious about
getting into views and their refactoring.

> but I don't see that the output side of them works on xdoc,
> but rather the resultant html of document2html.

Like I stated in *a lot* of mails: views *are* *just* replacing
site2xhtml.xsl of leather-dev. Which means for the current
implementation of views (that we have now) *you* *are* *100%* *right*!!!

Everything else is a modification/personal interpretation of views which
should go in a refactored version of them rather then in the XHTML2
plugin!

> Either way, I'm deleting my local changes and svn up occasionally to
> see where you're going.

Hmm, I am really concerned what is going on ATM. Please do not get
frustrated about comments on your work. Remember each person on this
list is speaking for themselves and each of us have their own point of
view on things. Always assume that the comments are intended to help you
rather then criticize.

Having said this I can understand that sometimes it is better to lay low
and watch what is going on, to better cope with the situation (I as well
reached this point on certain parts of our code base and discussions).

There are many areas in forrest that need enhancement and maybe it is
time for you to bring up your ideas how to improve views:
On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 18:24 -0400, Tim Williams wrote:
> For example, in this process so far, I've been notetaking my own ideas
> of how we might improve views

I am really keen to hear this ideas. Please tell us more.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"