Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Christopher Snow <sn...@coralms.com> on 2007/03/13 14:05:03 UTC

research project based on ofbiz

I will be starting a small (approx. 300 hours) Technology Management
research project in May and I am looking for some ideas.  I was
wondering if I may be able to do something around ofbiz.

The project must be:

1) significantly research based
2) based on the subject area Technology "Management"

Some ideas:

1) Develop a costing model for Ofbiz implementations
2) An analysis of factors influencing the uptake of Ofbiz in
organisations
3) Current trends in Ofbiz implementations (outsourcing, in-house
development, etc)
4) ...

Many thanks,

Chris

Re: research project based on ofbiz

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
Chris,

so let me sum up:

- It's going to be *research*, i.e. find out something that nobody else found out before? Not just practicing how to apply something.
- It's going to be about *management* of *technology*.

So OFBiz is technology, that's fore sure.

Regarding the management, IMO there would be two potential directions, depending on what you background / interest are:

- How to implement and use OFBiz in a organisation. In other words, putting yourself in the shoe's of an OFBiz user.
- Contributing to the further direction of development of OFBiz itself, putting yourself in the shoes of the non-existing product manager of an open source project.

Which one would sound rather appealing to you?

I think you won't get away with just something like "criteria for choosing and enterprise automation software", would you?

I think one question which does come up frequently, though I am not sure what has been done on this in terms of research already would be some kind of metrics to implementation and maintainance cost on one hand and business process coverage on the other hand.

Does any of that help?

Regards,
Torsten

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:59:56 +0000
Von: Christopher Snow <sn...@coralms.com>
An: user@ofbiz.apache.org
CC:
Betreff: Re: research project based on ofbiz

Posted by Shi Jinghai <sh...@langhua.cn>.
Chris,

I have 2 subjucts you may be interested in:

1. Small-scale Google-Advertising-like System based on OFBiz and its
market research.

2. CMM-compliant System (or ISO/IEC17025-compliant System) based on
OFBiz and its market research. ISO/IEC17025 is a lab management
standard.

Good luck,

Shi Jinghai/Beijing Langhua Ltd.

在 2007-03-13二的 20:59 +0000,Christopher Snow写道:

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@coralms.com>.
Torsten,

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@gmx.net>.
Hi Chris!

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Sounds like an interesting project. The biggest trick will probably
be that there is no central or single organization in the OFBiz
community that could really answer these sorts of questions or
provide the information you need to answer them.

I'd love to see the result...

-David