Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Ed Staub <es...@mediaone.net> on 2000/07/20 18:12:19 UTC

Searching mail archives

Is there a full-text search index for the mail archives that I don't know
about?

If not... I _really_ could use one.  There's a huge amount of information
buried in them, practically inaccessible.  I've actually started doing full
downloads of some of the archives in order to be able to search them
locally.  This isn't a good practice!

Would this be useful to other people?

Does anyone know of an appropriate (preferably open-source Java) search
engine to use?  The closest thing I found was JObjects QuestAgent
(http://www.jobjects.com/products/questagent/index.html); I was thinking of
asking them if they would give a license to Apache (disclaiming any ability
to speak for Apache, of course).

Who should I be talking to about this?

-Ed Staub

Re: Searching mail archives

Posted by Christopher Elkins <ce...@scardini.com>.
> Does anyone know of an appropriate (preferably open-source Java) search
> engine to use?  The closest thing I found was JObjects QuestAgent
> (http://www.jobjects.com/products/questagent/index.html); I was thinking of
> asking them if they would give a license to Apache (disclaiming any ability
> to speak for Apache, of course).

Have you seen:
    Lucene <http://lucene.sourceforge.net/> - generic full-text search engine
browser

(Disclaimer: I have no actual experience using these apps. I just know they
exist. ;-)

--
Christopher Elkins

Re: Searching mail archives

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
on 7/20/00 9:12 AM, Ed Staub at estaub@mediaone.net wrote:

> Is there a full-text search index for the mail archives that I don't know
> about?

Not yet... Part of the Tigris framework will probably give us this.

> Who should I be talking to about this?

The Eyebrowse folks...

http://eyebrowse.tigris.org/index.html

You might be able to do a trial where you load in the files you have and can
search em. I dunno... I haven't really dug into Eyebrowse much yet so... :)

.duncan