Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Qiao Lian (Ch'iao Lien)" <li...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/20 12:35:38 UTC

all-wcprops out of date problem

hi:
    I have used subversion for some years, but recently run into this
buggy problem:
after submit a new commit for file, the version number in all-wcprops
doesn't update (inc by one). The consequence is that following commit
will report out of date error.

For example, I have a file called testbot.py, its version is 64. like this:
===========================.svn/entries=========================
testbot.py
file
64

2007-03-20T12:27:56.000000Z
eae69389250ed742e32c15d90b96e5f9
2007-03-20T05:03:18.227598Z
64
lianqiao
===========================.svn/entries=========================
===========================.svn/all-wcprops=====================
testbot.py
K 25
svn:wc:ra_dav:version-url
V 29
/!svn/ver/64/build/testbot.py
END
===========================.svn/all-wcprops=====================

After I changed and commited, its version should updated to version
65. like this:
===========================.svn/entries=========================
testbot.py
file

2007-03-20T12:29:58.000000Z
af5574155fe1e45325a88d3ed21c26c6
2007-03-20T10:47:31.704660Z
65
lianqiao
===========================.svn/entries=========================
===========================.svn/all-wcprops=====================
testbot.py
K 25
svn:wc:ra_dav:version-url
V 29
/!svn/ver/65/build/testbot.py
END
===========================.svn/all-wcprops=====================

however I found that the all-wcprops is unchanged. the line
/!svn/ver/65/build/testbot.py is still /!svn/ver/64/build/testbot.py

If I choose update to version 64 and then update back to version 65,
the all-wcprops can changes to ver 65. I am wondering is this a bug?

I have already used the latest version of tortoiseSVN, and I also meet
this problem on command line svn util ver: svn, version 1.4.2
(r22196). So I am wondering this is server configuration problem.

Can anybody help me? (I can setup a account for troubleshooting).

Many thanks

Qiao

Re: all-wcprops out of date problem

Posted by "Qiao Lian (Ch'iao Lien)" <li...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys, I solved the problem. the SVN can not be configured in root
directory. Max answers in this post:
http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2004-09/0210.shtml

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Qiao Lian (Ch'iao Lien) wrote:
> the server clock is several minute ahead of my pc, ~ 5 minutes. I
> believe svn can tolerate small clock skew, seldom people can
> absolutely synchronize their server and pc.

It's actually completely trivial to synchronize clocks.  For Linux and
other Unix O/S's, use [x]ntpd.  For Windows servers and workstations,
starting with W2k, Microsoft has provided fully functional NTP support:

http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/pdf/win2000xp.pdf

There are also free or shareware NTP implementations, I like NetTime
(though it is largely abandoned by its author):

http://nettime.sourceforge.net/

There is no excuse for servers not being synchronized to a reference
clock; there is barely any excuse for clients.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group