Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com> on 2008/07/16 03:53:31 UTC

Archiva 1.2 roadmap

Hey guys,
With 1.1 almost out the door I'm already thinking about what we may want
to-do for 1.2.

The last release cycle was pretty long - but we introduced a lot of
features and improvements (bugs, too, I'm sure.. :P ) but I think the
general consensus is that we want to shorten our release cycle.

I'm proposing that we choose a small amount of feature/improvement
issues for 1.2 and bump the rest to 1.3. Id personally prefer this to be
more of a "engine room" release focusing on parts of Archiva that are
not so user visible.

While being less glamorous, this will allow us to clean up after the big
feature work in 1.2.

Here are a few features/improvements I would like to see in the next
release:
* MRM-749 - Support m2eclipse index format
* MRM-832 - Investigate future security framework options (Spike? Actual
work could probably be scheduled for 1.3)
* MRM-541 - convenient way to take proxies offline
* MRM-684 - clients timeout due to archiva blocking on downloading large
files

Anyone got anymore? :)

Thanks
James

Re: Archiva 1.2 roadmap

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.
Brett,

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 15:19 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> The list below sound good. For the security framework, I'm most
> interest in just simplifying what we have, and making it easily able
> to plugin into different solutions. We don't really want to lose the
> ability to keep the current user management, etc.
>
> For me, I would still like to look at:
> - reduce the impact of the database
> - reduce the number of dependencies we use
> - ability to deploy parts of the application separately.

Could we get JIRA issues for those?

> The reasoning for this is memory usage. While Archiva doesn't allocate
> a lot of memory itself, you'll find that there's a large initial
> overhead in classloading, and the operation of derby.

Agreed - a good start would be moving away from the plexus components we
are currently using...

Awesome,
James

Re: Archiva 1.2 roadmap

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Archiva 1.2 roadmap

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
Good news !

Is there allready a Jira issue/task for this ?

Re: Archiva 1.2 roadmap

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.
Nicolas,

Re: Archiva 1.2 roadmap

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: Archiva 1.2 roadmap

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> Hey guys,
> With 1.1 almost out the door I'm already thinking about what we may want
> to-do for 1.2.
>
> The last release cycle was pretty long - but we introduced a lot of
> features and improvements (bugs, too, I'm sure.. :P ) but I think the
> general consensus is that we want to shorten our release cycle.
>
> I'm proposing that we choose a small amount of feature/improvement
> issues for 1.2 and bump the rest to 1.3. Id personally prefer this to be
> more of a "engine room" release focusing on parts of Archiva that are
> not so user visible.
>
> While being less glamorous, this will allow us to clean up after the big
> feature work in 1.2.
>
> Here are a few features/improvements I would like to see in the next
> release:
> * MRM-749 - Support m2eclipse index format
> * MRM-832 - Investigate future security framework options (Spike? Actual
> work could probably be scheduled for 1.3)
> * MRM-541 - convenient way to take proxies offline
> * MRM-684 - clients timeout due to archiva blocking on downloading large
> files

Looks good to me..

> Anyone got anymore? :)

I would also like to add the interpolation issues in Archiva, namely:
* MRM-615 - When scanning, Archiva doesn't resolve properties/variables of
POMs in managed repositories
* MRM-686 - 'Unable to find project model' when artifactId contains property
placeholders e.g. ${project.parent.artifactId}
* MRM-620 - pom.xml that inherit version from parent show up in reports as
"has an invalid project model"

Thanks for starting this thread James! :)

> Thanks
> James

-Deng