Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Binny V A <bi...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/04 08:16:43 UTC

Merging Trunk with a Branch

Hi,

I am the author of a GTD tool Nexty(http://sourceforge.net/projects/nexty).
The repository is viewable at
http://nexty.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nexty/

There are 2 version of this software -
	1. Nexty
		Ordinary version - this has an installer and some different features. This
is for installation on a local server or an online Web server.
		This is the trunk
	2. Online Nexty
		I created a site so that people who don't have a web server can use nexty
too(http://nexty.org). There are some differences to the main version(no
installer, an intro text is there, some links are hard coded to point to
nexty.org, etc.)
		this is the online branch
http://nexty.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nexty/branches/online/

When ever I make a change to the trunk, I have to copy the change over to the
online branch as well. How do I do this by using the merge command?

I tried using this command...
svn merge https://nexty.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/nexty/branches/online
https://nexty.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/nexty/trunk .

But that merged all the changes - for example, it deleted the intro.php file
which should be in the 'online' branch - but absent in the trunk.

How do I prevent this? I need some way to merge all the changes after a given
revision - is this possible?

Thanks.
--
Binny V A
http://www.bin-co.com/blog/

Re: Merging Trunk with a Branch

Posted by Harshad <ha...@gmail.com>.
Binny V A wrote:

> I am the author of a GTD tool
> Nexty(http://sourceforge.net/projects/nexty). The repository is viewable
> at http://nexty.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nexty/

Nice application!

> I tried using this command...
> svn merge https://nexty.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/nexty/branches/online
> https://nexty.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/nexty/trunk .
>
> But that merged all the changes - for example, it deleted the intro.php
> file which should be in the 'online' branch - but absent in the trunk.

You could merge only selected sub-directories rather than the whole
project-level directory. This would probably require you to reorganise your
directories such that the online version's modifications are in a separate
folder.