Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2015/04/21 16:06:12 UTC

[FEATURE REMOVAL v6.0.0] Log collation

We have a feature to do remote logging, called “log collation”. This runs either as part of traffic_server itself, or using the stand-alone collector, traffic_sac. The issues with log collation are

	* Not well supported, no development / fixes are done on critical bugs
	* It has some severe shortcomings, such as orphaned logs never being collected
	* We feel that there are better out-of-band transports for logging, and we shouldn’t be in this business

Some options for collecting logs include

	* syslog-ng
	* Apache Flume
	* Splunk (commercial)
	* etc.

The Jira for this is

	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-3168

Unless we hear otherwise within 1 week, this feature will be removed for 6.0.0. If there’s concerns about upgrades from 5.x to 6.0, please voice your concerns asap. We could consider making this a deprecation in 6.0, and removal for 7.0, but only if people really need this feature during an upgrade period. v6.0.0 is schedule for release in ~july time frame.

— Leif

Re: [FEATURE REMOVAL v6.0.0] Log collation

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 28, 2015, at 5:18 AM, Yongming Zhao <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> 1) You use this feature?
>
> Yes, we do use this feature.
>

>> 2) You will support this feature, and work on the code?
>
> sure we will support it, because we use it.

Alright, cool. Lets keep log collation, I’ll reopen the closed Jira’s, and if necessary, we will revisit this decision for 7.0.0 (~1 year from now).

Cheers,

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yongming Zhao <mi...@gmail.com>.

> 1) You use this feature?

Yes, we do use this feature.

> 2) You will support this feature, and work on the code?

sure we will support it, because we use it.

just go thorough the jira you listed below, looks not that bad, I think we can fix it, let us fix them first to in the ‘probation’.

> 在 2015年4月28日,上午1:38,Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> 写道:
>

>> On Apr 27, 2015, at 12:15 AM, Yongming Zhao <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> on the collation:
>> I don’t get that many critical bugs on collation: project = TS AND component = Logging AND resolution = Unresolved AND text ~ "collation"  ORDER BY due ASC, priority DESC, created ASC
>> so, what is the problem we would like to remove it completely?
>

> We closed a few of them as Won’t Fix. But the issues that were crippling were
>
> 	- There is no way to replay an orphaned log
>
> and together with
>
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2629
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2062
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2101
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2781
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-910
>

> this becomes completely crippling (it filled up our disks).
>

>> the current ATS logging a ugly but very good in performance thinking log system, the SAC is a dedicated commercial server to offer log collation service, due to that we are now open sourced, that is a good idea removing the duplicated SAC codes.  In our using with syslog-ng, it’s performance may affect very busy ATS systems, that is why Yunkai pushed many collation improvements.
>
> No one has said anything about the logging infrastructure itself. In fact, I do not think it’s ugly, I think it’s very good. This has nothing to do with that, logging will work as it does.
>

>> yes, logging has some ugly bugs, but collation should not that bad after Yunkai’s work, and it does not bother you if you just logging to local disk and collection with the other systems, right?
>

> Yes, it did bother us, because the misbehavior around orphaned logs are crippling.
>

>> please consider keep this feature, I am very happy that a simple collation works for me out of box.
>>
>> sure you may find someone will take interest in supporting it, only if it is still there.
>

> So, I take it that
>
> 1) You use this feature?
>
> 2) You will support this feature, and work on the code?
>

> I could probably be convinced to give this feature another year “probation”, but only under the conditions that you answered “yes” to both questions above. If so, I’ll file a Jira on the biggest issue, that orphaned logs are abandoned with no way to get inserted again.
>

> Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
>

> — Leif

- Yongming Zhao 赵永明

Re: [FEATURE REMOVAL v6.0.0] Log collation

Posted by Yongming Zhao <mi...@gmail.com>.

> 1) You use this feature?

Yes, we do use this feature.

> 2) You will support this feature, and work on the code?

sure we will support it, because we use it.

just go thorough the jira you listed below, looks not that bad, I think we can fix it, let us fix them first to in the ‘probation’.

> 在 2015年4月28日,上午1:38,Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> 写道:
>

>> On Apr 27, 2015, at 12:15 AM, Yongming Zhao <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> on the collation:
>> I don’t get that many critical bugs on collation: project = TS AND component = Logging AND resolution = Unresolved AND text ~ "collation"  ORDER BY due ASC, priority DESC, created ASC
>> so, what is the problem we would like to remove it completely?
>

> We closed a few of them as Won’t Fix. But the issues that were crippling were
>
> 	- There is no way to replay an orphaned log
>
> and together with
>
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2629
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2062
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2101
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2781
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-910
>

> this becomes completely crippling (it filled up our disks).
>

>> the current ATS logging a ugly but very good in performance thinking log system, the SAC is a dedicated commercial server to offer log collation service, due to that we are now open sourced, that is a good idea removing the duplicated SAC codes.  In our using with syslog-ng, it’s performance may affect very busy ATS systems, that is why Yunkai pushed many collation improvements.
>
> No one has said anything about the logging infrastructure itself. In fact, I do not think it’s ugly, I think it’s very good. This has nothing to do with that, logging will work as it does.
>

>> yes, logging has some ugly bugs, but collation should not that bad after Yunkai’s work, and it does not bother you if you just logging to local disk and collection with the other systems, right?
>

> Yes, it did bother us, because the misbehavior around orphaned logs are crippling.
>

>> please consider keep this feature, I am very happy that a simple collation works for me out of box.
>>
>> sure you may find someone will take interest in supporting it, only if it is still there.
>

> So, I take it that
>
> 1) You use this feature?
>
> 2) You will support this feature, and work on the code?
>

> I could probably be convinced to give this feature another year “probation”, but only under the conditions that you answered “yes” to both questions above. If so, I’ll file a Jira on the biggest issue, that orphaned logs are abandoned with no way to get inserted again.
>

> Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
>

> — Leif

- Yongming Zhao 赵永明

Re: [FEATURE REMOVAL v6.0.0] Log collation

Posted by Theo Schlossnagle <je...@omniti.com>.
Yes. -1 from me.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Theo Schlossnagle <je...@omniti.com>.

--

Theo Schlossnagle

http://omniti.com/is/theo-schlossnagle

Re: [FEATURE REMOVAL v6.0.0] Log collation

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yongming Zhao <mi...@gmail.com>.
on the collation:
[...]

thanks

> 在 2015年4月21日,下午10:06,Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> 写道:
>
> We have a feature to do remote logging, called “log collation”. This runs either as part of traffic_server itself, or using the stand-alone collector, traffic_sac. The issues with log collation are
>
> 	* Not well supported, no development / fixes are done on critical bugs
> 	* It has some severe shortcomings, such as orphaned logs never being collected
> 	* We feel that there are better out-of-band transports for logging, and we shouldn’t be in this business
>
> Some options for collecting logs include
>
> 	* syslog-ng
> 	* Apache Flume
> 	* Splunk (commercial)
> 	* etc.
>

> The Jira for this is
>
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-3168
>
> Unless we hear otherwise within 1 week, this feature will be removed for 6.0.0. If there’s concerns about upgrades from 5.x to 6.0, please voice your concerns asap. We could consider making this a deprecation in 6.0, and removal for 7.0, but only if people really need this feature during an upgrade period. v6.0.0 is schedule for release in ~july time frame.
>
> — Leif

- Yongming Zhao 赵永明

Re: [FEATURE REMOVAL v6.0.0] Log collation

Posted by Yongming Zhao <mi...@gmail.com>.
on the collation:
  I don’t get that many critical bugs on collation: project = TS AND component = Logging AND resolution = Unresolved AND text ~ "collation"  ORDER BY due ASC, priority DESC, created ASC
so, what is the problem we would like to remove it completely?

  the current ATS logging a ugly but very good in performance thinking log system, the SAC is a dedicated commercial server to offer log collation service, due to that we are now open sourced, that is a good idea removing the duplicated SAC codes.  In our using with syslog-ng, it’s performance may affect very busy ATS systems, that is why Yunkai pushed many collation improvements.

  yes, logging has some ugly bugs, but collation should not that bad after Yunkai’s work, and it does not bother you if you just logging to local disk and collection with the other systems, right?

  please consider keep this feature, I am very happy that a simple collation works for me out of box.

  sure you may find someone will take interest in supporting it, only if it is still there.

thanks

> 在 2015年4月21日,下午10:06,Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> 写道:
>
> We have a feature to do remote logging, called “log collation”. This runs either as part of traffic_server itself, or using the stand-alone collector, traffic_sac. The issues with log collation are
>
> 	* Not well supported, no development / fixes are done on critical bugs
> 	* It has some severe shortcomings, such as orphaned logs never being collected
> 	* We feel that there are better out-of-band transports for logging, and we shouldn’t be in this business
>
> Some options for collecting logs include
>
> 	* syslog-ng
> 	* Apache Flume
> 	* Splunk (commercial)
> 	* etc.
>

> The Jira for this is
>
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-3168
>
> Unless we hear otherwise within 1 week, this feature will be removed for 6.0.0. If there’s concerns about upgrades from 5.x to 6.0, please voice your concerns asap. We could consider making this a deprecation in 6.0, and removal for 7.0, but only if people really need this feature during an upgrade period. v6.0.0 is schedule for release in ~july time frame.
>
> — Leif

- Yongming Zhao 赵永明