Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/26 00:32:49 UTC

Jackrabbit 0.9 release plan

Hi,

This is a release plan for Jackrabbit version 0.9. Please comment or
correct me on any mistakes or omissions. Unless anyone objects with a
-1 before 2006-01-29, I will assume lazy consensus for this release
plan and my status as the 0.9 release manager.

Based on your feedback I will prepare a similar plan for the 1.0 release.

RELEASE GOALS

The goals of releasing Jackrabbit version 0.9 are:

    1) Set up and test drive the release process
    2) Prepare a clear baseline for releasing version 1.0
    3) Provide a tested and fully functional JCR 1.0 implementation

The 0.9 release will *not* attempt to be fully compatible with the
upcoming 1.0 release as we will likely make some API cleanups and
renames before the 1.0 release.

The main focus of this release are the internal processes of the
Jackrabbit project, but it will also be useful to Jackrabbit users who
are currently using SVN snapshots. Users should however be warned that
there will most likely be internal API and configuration changes
between the 0.9 and 1.0 releases.

RELEASE CONTENTS

The Jackrabbit version 0.9 release will contain the following components:

    * jackrabbit - the full Jackrabbit content repository implementation
    * jackrabbit-commons - a general-purpose JCR utility library
    * jcr-rmi - an RMI network layer for the JCR API

Only a few components are included to keep the 0.9 release easier to
handle. The upcoming 1.0 release will contain also other mature
contrib components.

(Note that we may want to rename jcr-rmi to jackrabbit-rmi for consistency.)

REMAINING ISSUES

    JCR-304 Set up a release goal in Maven

The 0.9 release will be a snapshot of the current state of the
Jackrabbit codebase so no features or bug fixes are included in this
list.

RELEASE SCHEDULE

I'm targeting to have the last issue resolved and a release candidate
ready for testing on 2006-01-29. If everything goes well I will first
start an internal release vote on 2006-02-01 and then (if the vote
passes) request approval from the Incubator PMC on 2006-02-04.

RELEASE BRANCH

Once the remaining issue is solved and there are no major problems
with the source tree, I will branch the release components into
.../branches/0.9 for release cleanups (changing the version numbers,
etc.) and tagging as .../tags/0.9.0. The release packages will be
built from the tag directory.

Possible patch releases (to fix bugs reported against the release) can
be made from the same branch and tagged as .../tags/0.9.1, etc.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Software craftmanship, JCR consulting, and Java development

Re: Jackrabbit 0.9 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 1/26/06, Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com> wrote:
> Regarding the release goal. I understand you plan to build releases of
> the complete set of libraries (jackrabbit, jackrabbit-commons and
> jcr-rmi). It would probably also make sense to provide separate
> libraries for download.

Agreed.

> Likewise, I suggest we should also publish the released libraries to a
> maven repository. This raises the question of using maven 2 once again,
> because this would provide the ability to also upload the accompanying
> source code and publishing to maven 1 and 2 repositories.

I investigated the Maven 2 option sometime around September last year,
but at that time the Maven 2 JavaCC plugin lacked the features needed
to build the Jackrabbit query parsers. Properly solving that problem
would have required considerable effort in either patching the JavaCC
plugin or creating a custom Maven 2 plugin for building Jackrabbit.

I will gladly share my notes if someone wants to try making Maven 2
work for building Jackrabbit 1.0. Otherwise I'd stick with Maven 1 for
now.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com>.
Hi,

+1 for this release plan.

Regarding the release goal. I understand you plan to build releases of
the complete set of libraries (jackrabbit, jackrabbit-commons and
jcr-rmi). It would probably also make sense to provide separate
libraries for download.

Likewise, I suggest we should also publish the released libraries to a
maven repository. This raises the question of using maven 2 once again,
because this would provide the ability to also upload the accompanying
source code and publishing to maven 1 and 2 repositories.

Thank you very much, Jukka, for the great effort you put into making
this real !

Regards
Felix Meschberger