Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jan Matèrne <ja...@materne.de> on 2017/05/19 05:25:11 UTC

[VOTE] Increase minimum Java version for Ivy to Java7

As discussed on this mailing list [1] we should increase the minimum Java
version [2] from current (Ivy-2.4.0) Java5 to Java 7 (Ivy-2.5.0).
Decisions whether to increase to Java8 after that release should be make
after that release.
According to the bylaws [3] this vote is open for one week (until
26.05.2017).

Here is my +1
Jan

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ant-dev/201705.mbox/ajax/%3C87415C1
F-5EFF-4C81-8078-0276CC21A8ED%40gmail.com%3E
[2] http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/compatibility.html
[3] http://ant.apache.org/bylaws.html

Re: [VOTE] Increase minimum Java version for Ivy to Java7

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.
Sorry for sloppy suggestion, I did not mean changing the subject. My
intention was to remind about another component which has Ivy as a direct
dependency and that it makes sense to align their baselines.

Gintas

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Posted by J Pai <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.
You're right, full HTTP/2 in JRE is Java 9. What I meant was AEAD crypto
that was introduced in Java 8 JRE. Before that, that's another dependency
on BouncyCastle.

Gintas

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

AW: [VOTE] Increase minimum Java version for Ivy to Java7

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.

Posted by J Pai <ja...@gmail.com>.
One of the reasons, other than the fact that I haven’t personally seen anyone using Java 5 in development projects or production for many years now, has to do with the development and testing of the project itself.

It’s hard to find a Java 5 runtime to actually test the product against (almost the same with Java 6). Plus the fact that, for enhancements like this one [1] we will end up adding a bit more complexity to the project which can be avoided if we move to a higher version. Add to that the various language level features that we can’t currently use (try with resources, switch statements from string etc…) in the code.

As for using Ivy with Ant 1.9.x, I think the strategy we can follow is to recommend users to use Ivy 2.5.x with Ant 1.10.x (which by the way is Java 8 runtime backed). If however they do want to use Ant 1.9.x version, then ask them to use Ivy 2.4.0.

[1] https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/pull/19

-Jaikiran

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
+1

Be able to test on an old jvm will be near impossible for me.

Nicolas

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 7:25 AM, Jan Matèrne <ja...@materne.de> wrote:

> As discussed on this mailing list [1] we should increase the minimum Java
> version [2] from current (Ivy-2.4.0) Java5 to Java 7 (Ivy-2.5.0).

+1. --DD

PS: Ivy already has trouble attracting dev attention, so I feel we should
let those making the effort
to work on it not have to jump through hoops by supporting a mostly
obsolete Java5.

[RESULT] [VOTE] Increase minimum Java version for Ivy to Java7

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.
[RESULT] [VOTE] Increase minimum Java version for Ivy to Java7

Here is the result of the vote to increase the minimum Java
version from current (Ivy-2.4.0) Java5 to Java 7 (Ivy-2.5.0):

+1:
  Jan (binding)
  Jaikiran (non-binding)
  Gintautas (non-binding)
  Nicolas (binding)
  Dominique (binding)

-0:
  Maarten (binding)

So the vote passed and we can use Java7 from now.

Jan