Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Lars Eirik Rønning <la...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/12 07:32:37 UTC

Permformance issues with headless running on server

Anyone have experience with running batik and pdftranscoding on freebsd?
We are currently having major issues when trying to run the same process as
on windows..
WIndows consumes 300mb, freebsd one does not manage when giving it 1.5 gb..

The issue here is relasted to images.

We have tried to run the fop0.95 version on freebsd, but we keep getting
something which looks like base64encodd string and then the process
terminates..

Is there any thing we can do to get this thing running on a headless
server.. I would assume that only passing the jpeg stream would not require
an enormous amount of memory..

THanks guys.

RE: Permformance issues with headless running on server

Posted by "John C. Turnbull" <oz...@ozemail.com.au>.
Yes, but not with FreeBSD.  I have tried it on Ubuntu and found it to be
very good.  It’s basically just the open source version of the standard JDK
but does a few things a little differently.

I am not saying it will solve your problem but it’s certainly worth a try.

-JCT

Posted by Lars Eirik Rønning <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John C. Turnbull" <oz...@ozemail.com.au>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I have no experience with FreeBSD whatsoever. But might I suggest
investigating if you can use a different JVM and check if the results
improve? This problem sounds a lot like the JVM is not up to handling
Batik/FOP. For example, GCJ/GNU Classpath have a few issues with
Batik/FOP.

On 12.11.2008 07:32:37 Lars Eirik Rønning wrote:
> Anyone have experience with running batik and pdftranscoding on freebsd?
> We are currently having major issues when trying to run the same process as
> on windows..
> WIndows consumes 300mb, freebsd one does not manage when giving it 1.5 gb..
>
> The issue here is relasted to images.
>
> We have tried to run the fop0.95 version on freebsd, but we keep getting
> something which looks like base64encodd string and then the process
> terminates..
>
> Is there any thing we can do to get this thing running on a headless
> server.. I would assume that only passing the jpeg stream would not require
> an enormous amount of memory..
>
> THanks guys.

HTH
Jeremias Maerki