Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by NormW <no...@bocnet.com.au> on 2003/04/01 11:47:26 UTC

Startup Problem

Good evening All.
Have James 2.1.2 with Phoenix 4.0.3 and trying to start it on a Netware 6 box with JVM 1.3.1_06.
An error message as follows ensues not very far into the run based on the (short) length of the message trace:

There was an uncaught exception:
  Java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
     org/apache/avalon/phoenixcomponents/manager/AbstractSystemManager.dispose

Any ideas would be appreciated. Netware users are always looking for NNTP servers; don't know why this one hasn't been found yet.

What files 'should' be in the classpath? I've added Java Java tools and rt.jars, plus phoenix-loader and wrapper.jars and get further than without them, but have now hit this 'problem'...
Thanks for any assistance.
Norm

Re: Startup Problem

Posted by NormW <no...@bocnet.com.au>.
Good morning Noel.
I don't build as I'm not set up to compile.
I read the requirement in the docs I got with James 2.1.2 needing 1.4 JRE as
of version 2.0a3 (at last that's what I took it to mean.)
As mentioned previously, once I upgraded from 1.3.1 to 1.4 (sp2 I thnk) the
intial problem vanished, Phoenix ran and unpacked the James sar.
One shouldn't put too much into it needing 1.4 as the JVM is still platform
dependant even if Java itself isn't and if yours works with 1.3.1, GREAT!
(Heaven knows I had enough trouble downloading the 1.4 JVM).
Will drop off the list for now as I don't know much more about James yet
beyond starting Phoenix; will probably be back tho at my next hurdle.
For now,
Norm

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Startup Problem

Posted by NormW <no...@bocnet.com.au>.
Good morning All.
The major problem proved to be eyesight.
I missed the fine-print about James requiring JVM 1.4...once I upgraded, the
problem 'disappeared'.. so onward again.
Netware now has access to PostgreSQL and once I get the next service pack
will see how I go using it for the database component.
Thanks for all the consideration given.
Norm

> Any ideas would be appreciated. Netware users are always looking
> for NNTP servers; don't know why this one hasn't been found yet.

NNTP still has some "issues", but if you get James running you can help us
to track them down, right? ;-)

> What files 'should' be in the classpath? I've added Java Java
> tools and rt.jars, plus phoenix-loader and wrapper.jars and get
> further than without them, but have now hit this 'problem'...
> Thanks for any assistance.

Looking at the Phoenix startup scripts it *looks* like its only
phoenix-loader.jar that needs to be specified.

You might want to ask this on the Avalon lists too though.

Re: Startup Problem

Posted by NormW <no...@bocnet.com.au>.
Most of my Java knowledge includes jokes about coffee, but if I resolve
anything 'will be back'...
Steve suggested one thing to try and will give that a run; also try
expanding things in the classpath in case that's an issue. The Netware Java
environment always seems to need classpath support; will upgrade to 1.4 when
issues resolved.
Thanks for the feedback.
Back soon.
Norm