Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jonathan Asbell <ja...@i-2000.com> on 2001/02/05 09:21:31 UTC

Character encoding Resources

I read all of your comments about how you should implement character encoding and it is very us/euro-centric.  I'm not griping about this (as I grew up in Philly) but this consideration obviously lends a consideration of the entire http protocol which as I understand is ascii based.  If we are to accept that http wont change to accomodate the non-english speaking world any time soon than lets assume it will be ascii for the next x years.  Therefore data on a web page can only exist in one encoding scheme at a time (not one character set, but one encoding scheme).  What is the scheme that covers the most ground?....UTF-8.  But because web pages can refer to other data on servers which exist in other encodings, lets allow a webapp to set a default with the ability to override it on the page level.  I hope my posting doesnt soound idiotic.