Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Anton Vinogradov <av...@apache.org> on 2019/02/06 14:22:53 UTC

beforeTestsStarted() was deprecated, what should we use instead?

beforeTestsStarted() was deprecated recently.

See following comment at beforeTestsStarted():
* @deprecated This method is deprecated. Instead of invoking or overriding
it, it is recommended to make your own
* method with {@code @BeforeClass} annotation.

But, according to Junit documentation:
* Annotating a public static void no-arg method with @BeforeClass causes it
to be run once before any of the test methods in the class.

So, the method should be *static* to be annotated with @BeforeClass.
And I see a problem here since you're not able to use non-static methods
like GridAbstractTest#startGrid() at method annotated with @BeforeClass.

So, what is the real replacement?

Re: beforeTestsStarted() was deprecated, what should we use instead?

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@apache.org>.
I vote for any proper solution :)

For now, we have to rollback the deprecation.

Posted by Павлухин Иван <vo...@gmail.com>.
Nikolay,

I agree with all points. But one thing is very uncertain. What
contribution is really troublesome (and consequently should be fixed
quickly or reverted)? But in fact it is a topic for a separate
discussion.

In current case about deprecation I agree with Nikolay and Anton. It
should be reverted until we have a substitution for beforeTestsStarted
method.

--
Best regards,
Ivan Pavlukhin

Re: beforeTestsStarted() was deprecated, what should we use instead?

Posted by Nikolay Izhikov <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Павлухин Иван <vo...@gmail.com>.
Nikolay,

--
Best regards,
Ivan Pavlukhin

Re: beforeTestsStarted() was deprecated, what should we use instead?

Posted by Nikolay Izhikov <ni...@apache.org>.
Ivan.

Posted by Павлухин Иван <vo...@gmail.com>.
Anton,

Posted by oignatenko <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Anton,

I re-checked details of the JIRA task you mentioned [1] and it looks like
finished to me, sorry. Ticket description is a list of specific items to be
addressed and as far as I can tell all of them are done.

Since you mentioned review, changes made per this ticket were fairly
thoroughly reviewed: for example respective PR [2] lists five commits that
were done to address review comments. And as far as I remember at the time
of review we had a solid consensus that scope of these changes is determined
by concrete items listed in task description.

Note by the way that after merge of these changes it became impossible to
write JUnit3 tests inheriting GridAbstractTest. One can probably call this
part of the changes final.

---

Speaking of JUnit3TestLegacySupport, TODOs are there to help readers see
that some specific parts of code in this class are expected to change per
particular JIRA task. That it should be (eventually) completely removed or
somehow reworked in the future is irrelevant here because this can be done
gradually, in different time, for different reasons and by different JIRA
tasks.

---

With regards to what you call "final Junit3 removal", I find it hard to
comprehend what exactly you want nor how this can be expressed in practical
actions of changing concrete code.

In contrast, the way how migration effort was explained at dev list
discussion that started it looks clear and understandable: "Is it time to
start translating tests to Unit 4 style?" (worth noting that it further goes
into even more concrete and practical explanation of what change is desired
and why, explaining that we want to be able to use @Ignore annotation to
simplify maintenance at Teamcity) And umbrella JIRA task that followed this
discussion [4] also has actionable description of what is to be done: "This
task is to migrate all tests to single uniform version Junit 4".

Speaking in terms of mentioned discussion and JIRA task, this is all done
and over - finished and verified ([5]). In fact, anyone can verify whether
migration is completed by doing plain text search for "junit.framework" in
project files and reviewing search results to make sure that there are no
test classes / suites inheriting the old API (JUnit 3 package names start
with junit.framework). It's very easy, just give it a try.

Summing up, I don't know what you have in mind speaking of what else should
be done or finalized, but whatever it is, I can't see how it would fit into
the scope of our original discussion here and of original JIRA task.

[2] https://github.com/apache/ignite/pull/5615
[3]
http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Is-it-time-to-move-forward-to-JUnit4-5-td29608.html

regards, Oleg

Anton Vinogradov-2 wrote

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org>.
Anton,

Do you have real questions? Seems like you're trying to state your opinion
related to the fix rather than asking a question.

We've discussed it in the thread related to Failure Handler fix, that whole
community is responsible to make things better. Mostly, contributors, who
care (proof of it is contribution). You can't say directly to someone to be
responsible (there is no boss in open source). If Oleg wants to proceed
with fixing, he will.

Please merge PR 6122 <https://github.com/apache/ignite/pull/6122> if you
agree with the new approach. We sometimes use todos with linking to tickets.

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@apache.org>.
Oleg,

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@apache.org>.
Oleg,

Every commit should be final.
Comments, TODOs and partial fixes (why @deprecated still at Javadoc?) are
unacceptable.

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@apache.org>.
Oleg,

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@apache.org>.
Oleg,

Still, see beforeTestsStarted is deprecated.
Since we found this deprecation was incorrect, we have to roll it back.
Please fix the issue.

Posted by oignatenko <oi...@gridgain.com>.
Hi Ivan,

Posted by Павлухин Иван <vo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

AFAIK various startGrid* methods of GridAbstractTest are not tied to
concrete instance of test class. I think that a we can make them
static. Also same can be done for some other methods and all they can
be extracted into static utility class like GridTestSupport in order
to reduce GridAbstractTest class size and separate concerns.

What do you think?

чт, 7 февр. 2019 г. в 09:44, oignatenko <oi...@gridgain.com>:

> Hi Anton,
>
> You can start and stop grid from static context required by mentioned
> annotations using code like:
>
>      MyTestClass.class.newInstance().startGrid();
>
> This way doesn't look very convenient and I created JIRA task to address
> that:
>
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-11240
>
> Does that address your question?
>
> regards, Oleg

Best regards,
Ivan Pavlukhin

Re: beforeTestsStarted() was deprecated, what should we use instead?