Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Yavor Yanchev <ya...@yanchev.com> on 2015/08/27 10:27:01 UTC

Cloud provider VM name length limit

Hi All,

I can see that we have predefined limits for VM names length for some of
the cloud providers [1].

vCloud's limit is only 24 chars. My quick google check revealed that it
should be 128 chars.

Do you remember what caused the need for the lower limit on vCloud (max
24 chars) ?

Regards,
Yavor

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn/blob/master/locations/jclouds/src/main/java/org/apache/brooklyn/location/jclouds/JcloudsMachineNamer.java

Re: Cloud provider VM name length limit

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Yavor,

Thanks for the answer.

> It can be 128 chars by default according to VMWare docs [1].
> Are there clouds providers that lower the default limits for vCloud?

Not aware of any of them, specifically, but I'm pretty sure that if the
JcloudsMachineNamer contains that we probably hit that problem at least
once.

> My intention is to slightly increase the limit. It may be the same
> length as for GCE

I think you can just override the default using the brooklyn.properties
because you know that it will work on your vCloud installation, I think.

My two cents,
Andrea

message after it was sent.

Re: Cloud provider VM name length limit

Posted by Yavor Yanchev <ya...@yanchev.com>.
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the answer.

It can be 128 chars by default according to VMWare docs [1].
Are there clouds providers that lower the default limits for vCloud?

My intention is to slightly increase the limit. It may be the same
length as for GCE

I'm trying to embed a timestamp in the instance's name [2]. It requires
4 chars more.

Regards,
Yavor

[1] Page 358 -