Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by brunp <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/06 20:49:52 UTC

Running Jetspeed within Tomcat behind Apache

So.....I have Jetspeed properly updated, the first login page shows up a
little funny and contains a *# character which I think is somehow making is
way from the jetspeed_macros.vm file.

However, more importantly, when I try to log in, the IP portion of the URL
seems to move over to wanting to load up the page from 127.0.0.1?

Would this be related to improper redirect rules within the httpd.conf files
within Apache? I did remove the proxyName and proxyPort configuration from
within Tomcat, which apparently was required in version 2.0, but I think is
no longer required in 2.1.3 of Jetspeed.

Help appreciated.
Paul

Re: strange Jetspeed heap usage

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Roberto,

We have been load testing 2.1.3 and 2.2, but not necessarily letting
them sit idle. So, I cannot really verify what you are seeing. However,
there are plenty of potential sources of this behavior. One that comes
to mind is the PAM which monitors portlet applications for deployment
changes. There are also background processes to manage internal caches.
However, with these things, its almost always something one would not
initially expect.

I would assume you are seeing real behavior and not something unique.
Further research would be required to know for sure, hence the JIRA issue.

Randy

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Roberto,

Please file a JIRA issue with your observations since we are making a
concerted effort to clean up Jetspeed's memory usage and footprint. It
would be a handy place to submit your graph to us. It would be most
helpful if you could do the same for 2.2 if you have time to test there
as well.

Also, please note that a cache reporting portlet has been added to
Jetspeed administrative pages so that you can examine the current cache
counts and memory usage. That is available in the latest version of
2.1.3 post branch and 2.2 trunk.

Thanks,

Randy

Re: Running Jetspeed within Tomcat behind Apache

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.
I tried doing that, no difference for me between changing that value between
true/false. I suspect that
since I am using my own Login Servlets/etc (not the one's that have been
distributed w/ Jetspeed), that this parameter is in affect not really
used???

Paul

Posted by David Sean Taylor <d....@onehippo.com>.

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com>.
Lots of things might be happening,  Any dumps or other useful info in
the log files?

A) Are you actually reaching the LoginServlet, DefaultLoginModule and
LoginRedirectorServlet ?
B) What is the LoginRedirectorServlet mapped to in the web.xml ?
C) It may simply be a page not found.
    -What profiling rule does the user you're attempting to login have?
    -Is your pages directory set up to actually provide a default page
(psml file) according to that profiling rule?

To the people who know more about apache (most of my direct experience
has been working simply within tomcat) is there something in the
httpd.conf that needs to be set to allow the portal to respond from
localhost?  I know I've run into issues there with portlet webapps
running under jetspeed not being able to serve out images until it was
updated.

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

brunp wrote:
> Thank you to all......so, I can get to my "login" page after making some
> macro adjustments, however, when I press login, my LoginServlet pipes out
> some logs, I redirect to another location, but it appears that the redirect
> replaces the IP address w/ 127.0.0.1
>
> So something within the Apache configuration and/or the redirect rules is
> replacing the x-forward-host
> with localhost...
>
> Paul
>

> hemantmalik wrote:
>
>> You can use mod_jk module as well and then can connect to AJP connector of
>> tomcat as mentioned by Bhaskar.
>>
>> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Bhaskar Roy <bh...@chikpea.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Use ajp protocol, much easier!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Bhaskar

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.
Just adding some more information to this thread. The login page works. I can
see that I am hitting the LoginProxyServlet without a problem. At that point
is there is sort goes south. IT appears that prior to my response.redirect
call at the end of the doGet method, it inserts the Server Name of 127.0.0.1
from ServletRequest.getServerName()

I had thought the following property would resolve relative url redirects?

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Generate all Portal URLs without schema, servername or port.
# WARNING: Defining this to true (default = false) means requesting secure
Portlet URLs
#          won't have any effect anymore.
#          But a proxy frontend (like Apache) can still be used for securing
the whole site.
#          See:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-275#action_12474326
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
portalurl.relative.only=true

Please clarify.....

Paul

Re: Running Jetspeed within Tomcat behind Apache

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hemant Malik <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bhaskar Roy <bh...@chikpea.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

site to redirect www.mydomain.com to  locahost:8080/myportal so the user

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.
While I haven't expreinced somehting like this, but I will try to help,
until (hopefully) someone else who have seen this gives us an
advice. See my comments.

On Wed May 06,2009 11:55 am, brunp wrote:

> brunp wrote:
> >
> > So.....I have Jetspeed properly updated, the first login page shows up a
> > little funny and contains a *# character which I think is somehow making
> > is way from the jetspeed_macros.vm file.
Noramly comments in vm starts with ## for single line. For mutli line:

#*
This is a multiline comment.
This is the second line
*#

Refere to end of page
http://velocity.apache.org/engine/devel/vtl-reference-guide.html
You may have deleted the first part, and left the closing comment ?

> > However, more importantly, when I try to log in, the IP portion of the URL
> > seems to move over to wanting to load up the page from 127.0.0.1?

I have this in profiler.xml:

158     <bean id='HostnameCriterionResolver' class='org.apache.jetspeed.profiler.rules.impl.HostnameCriterionResolver'>
159       <!--  use the dot prefix, for ex: "accounting.xyz.com" returns "accounting" -->
160       <constructor-arg type="boolean" index="0">
161             <value>false</value>
162         </constructor-arg>
163     </bean>

I don't know what it says in yours.

> > Would this be related to improper redirect rules within the httpd.conf
if you are using mod_rewrite, I don't think it has the ability to write
back the url in the browser, however, it might be resolving the
request and passing it to jetspeed which is resutling in it getting
the wrong hostname.

> > files within Apache? I did remove the proxyName and proxyPort
> > configuration from within Tomcat, which apparently was required in version
> > 2.0, but I think is no longer required in 2.1.3 of Jetspeed.

Would it be hard to put back the files you removed and see if that
resolves the issue ? You need to narrow down the cause, and isolate it
,so deal with every possibility separately. If you can disable
mod_rewrite, this will be a great idea. Try it, if it doesn't work then
put back the files you removed, and test it. Once it works fine, you can
tell what it causing the issue.

Let us know if that helped !

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.
I will check all of these things out, but can I ask first the following:

With Jetspeed 2.1.3, am I able to access the site via IP or FQDN? i.e., do I
need to have ProxyName and ProxyPort defined within the server.xml for
tomcat?

Paul

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.