Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/07 20:03:48 UTC

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

(Moving thread to users@flex.apache.org.  Bcc-ing dev@flex.apache.org in
case someone wants to follow the thread.  )

Marcio,

For AIR, you can just use the built-in HTML component.

I am assuming you want this for Flex on Flash Player.  I have worked with
Drumbeat's HTML component for Flex [1] and Flex-iframe [2]

Both worked just fine for me.  There might some browser specific
annoyances, but for the most part things work fine.

on this thread.

Thanks,
Om

[1] http://drumbeatinsight.com/htmlcomponent
[2] https://github.com/flex-users/flex-iframe

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Marcio Fermino <prologicasistemas@gmail.com

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Thiago Maia <a0...@a00s.com>.
Hello

      Just sharing the way I did. I had to show a PDF inside flash to be
able to print, I tried many components and all of then didnt work very
well.

       The best way I found it was using javascript and an iframe inside a
div.
       Then from flex using the command ExternalInterface.call I can get
the iframe with html.
       I also add an event inside flex window, once move, call the
javascript to move the div.

       After a did in that way, all my problems with html finished.

       You can have a look the javascript and html in my software
www.a00s.com, have a Demo login so you can check how it works.

thanks

Thiago Maia

RE: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Greg Huddleston <gh...@reachips.com>.
Sorry left of the most important part... you can leave of the http://part and just load a local html file embedd3ed in your flex/air app
Example

    webView1.source - remotepage0;

where remotepage0 can also take the form,

    remotepage0 ='assets/htmlfiles/abcd.html';  etc etc

Works great and its free   Hope this helps and is slightly clearer....  //GH

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dont get me wrong i have nothing against the component.
> It looks great and probably deserves the price.
>
> It s the idea that i have to pay some money to display HTML inside a web
> app that does nt sound right to me.
> If something is going to run in the browser one would expect it will be
> able to display HTML
> and operate well with JavaScript.No ?
>
> "I still have dreams of rendering HTML as Flash display objects.  I posted
> prototype of that years ago and started a re-write just before the big
> change.  I think I may actually get back to it as part of the FlexJS stuff
> way in the future."
>
> I m looking forward to seeing that in action

Web is not HTML alone.  You have css, images, javascript and even swf
files.  Unless Flash Player ships with Webkit inside it, there is no way
that we can get all web pages to display properly inside a Flex app.

These components we are talking about employ a clever hack by making an
area transparent and loading the web page inside an iframe at the same
exact location.  And it is not without its problems.

I dont think it is a sound enough technique for us to bake it into the Flex
framework.

Thanks,
Om

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/7/13 2:45 PM, "Alain Ekambi" <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dont get me wrong i have nothing against the component.
> It looks great and probably deserves the price.
>
> It s the idea that i have to pay some money to display HTML inside a web
> app that does nt sound right to me.
> If something is going to run in the browser one would expect it will be
> able to display HTML
> and operate well with JavaScript.No ?
Well, one of the things that made Flash popular was that it didn't play with
HTML/JS so you could guarantee your rendering in different browsers.

But yeah, that's why I did that prototype years ago.  I thought we should
render HTML in Flash so you didn't have this integration issue.  Here's the
blog post: http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui/2008/01/html_and_flex_1.html

However, many folks felt that this was the equivalent to writing webkit, or
at least, the design-view in DreamWeaver and we didn't have resources to do
it.  That could be true, but I still get the feeling it is easier than that
because I would make some assumptions like only supporting XHTML so I don't
have to have all of that smart parsing logic that handles bad XHTML.

Early versions would be display-only and not run script.  To run script you
would need a JS interpreter.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.
> You gotta wonder what Adobe was thinking to not adding a fundamental
feature like this  inside Flash/Flex

>The Flash Player team believed that adding WebKit would have made the
player download so large (and therefore >slow) that the ubiquity of the
player would have been compromised.

I was nt thinking about shiping with the entire WebKit engine.
But more letting the underlying browser handle things be it an iFrame.

RE: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Timothy Jones <Ti...@syniverse.com>.
Personally, I would shudder at the thought of having to support all malformed HTML/JS from the IE6 era.

tlj

RE: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

RE: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Carlos Cruz <ca...@nbtbizcapital.com>.
I believe this is if you buy with source code, without source it's $149(at
least used to be), I purchased this component and it works pretty we, at
least till Flex 4.6l!

Carlos

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 3/8/2013 5:29 AM, Alex Harui wrote:
> change.  I think I may actually get back to it as part of the FlexJS stuff
> way in the future.

technical stuff aside, that's one positive message about flex :-)

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 3/7/2013 5:29 PM, Alex Harui wrote:

> On 3/7/13 2:18 PM, "Alain Ekambi" <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 249 USD to display HTML in a web application. Insane.
> The author of this component occasionally posts on Apache Flex mailing
> lists.  Maybe you can negotiate a deal with him.

  But, he sold the company a few years, though, so probably doesn't have
much negotiating power.  As I understand it; from afar; it just uses the
Flex iFrame trick; and then has lots of tweaks in order to deal with
eccentricities of it.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Cosma Colanicchia <co...@gmail.com>.
@christofer yes, they actually does.. I remember, in an app that needed to
show PDF/HTML I was listening for some events from the application
systemManager to at least temporarly hide the iframe when a popup was
displayed (think of Alert boxes for example), otherwise you risk to have it
covered by the iframe and completely lock the flex app (modal popup that
cannot  be dismissed).

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: who Open HTML in the Flex ?