Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Martin Heitz <Ma...@Elsag-Solutions.com> on 2004/12/14 11:55:38 UTC

Serializer- and Deserializer-objects multi-threaded?

Hi,

short question: Are Axis Serializer- and Deserializer-objects shared by
multiple threads (do they need to be thread-safe)?

My question relates to Axis 1.1, but (because upgrading to a newer
release is always something one may not get out of sight) I am also
interested in an answer for Axis 1.2.

Best regards from Black Forrest, Germany,

Martin Heitz
Distributed Network Accounting Team

Elsag Solutions AG
Roggenbachstr. 1
D-78050 Villingen-Schwenningen
Germany
http://www.elsag-solutions.com
Tel: +49-(0)7721-9175-595
Fax: +49-(0)7721-9175-800

Re: Serializer- and Deserializer-objects multi-threaded?

Posted by "Brian J. Sayatovic" <tr...@trinition.org>.
I think they are inherently thread-safe because Axis gets a new instance
each time from your factories.  However, some people take short cuts by
making their Serializer/Deserializer classes idempotent and have the
same instances are returned from the factory each time -- which is fine
as long as they really are idempotent.

Regards,
Brian.

Martin Heitz wrote:

>Hi,
>
>short question: Are Axis Serializer- and Deserializer-objects shared by
>multiple threads (do they need to be thread-safe)?
>
>My question relates to Axis 1.1, but (because upgrading to a newer
>release is always something one may not get out of sight) I am also
>interested in an answer for Axis 1.2.
>
>Best regards from Black Forrest, Germany,
>
>Martin Heitz
>Distributed Network Accounting Team
>
>Elsag Solutions AG
>Roggenbachstr. 1
>D-78050 Villingen-Schwenningen
>Germany
>http://www.elsag-solutions.com
>Tel: +49-(0)7721-9175-595
>Fax: +49-(0)7721-9175-800

Re: Serializer- and Deserializer-objects multi-threaded?

Posted by to...@gsk.com.
I've never seen any reference to threads in descriptions of serializers
and deserializers (Axis 1.1). Certainly, the BeanSerializer has no special
code for handling multiple threads, that I can see. It looks as though a
new serializer/deserializer is created, from the factory, each time a type
needs to be processed in the message. In any case, I can't quite see why
you'd want to store state between calls to the serializer or deserializer,
or store state in the de/serializer whilst processing a call.

Tony

"Martin Heitz" <Ma...@Elsag-Solutions.com> wrote on 14/12/2004
10:55:38: