Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2023/01/22 16:51:27 UTC

[DISCUSS] Change the notification settings ?

Hi all,

I would like to make a suggestion here on how we can possibly make it better for people to use and follow our mailing-lists and hereby our project.

Admittedly I am interested in IoTDB unchanged. However, over time it has become more and more problematic to casually follow the project.

Subscribing to the dev-list, which should be the projects town-square, actually only helps if we’re doing a vote. Besides this, I can’t really see any discussions at all.

PR notifications have become so frequent, that we banned them to the “reviews@” list, to keep dev@ clean.
However, it’s so clean now, that it doesn’t contain anything except build success/failure notifications and the other list I think only archive-bots have subscribed (While dev@ currently has 277 email subscribers, reviews@ only has 3 (at least one of them being the asf archiver and a second one being another mailbox archive outside of the asf)

How the reviews@ list looks like:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KEONRKhlnqL2azhhmpXBvRIjoyHapp--/view?usp=share_link
How the dev@ list looks like:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QxBMpdzv_LIa12CzpTBQOFE6HowIGBjq/view?usp=share_link

The problem I saw with GitHub PR notifications, was that they are unreadable in any normal email client also don’t I know a single email-client that can offer any sort of threading.
I did suggest some changes to the notification-bot the ASF uses and after quite a bit of discussion, they now added a feature, that a project can choose the format of the email subject.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features#Git.asf.yamlfeatures-CustomsubjectlinesforGitHubevents

For PLC4X we changed it to this:
https://github.com/apache/plc4x/blob/develop/.asf.yaml#L62

This has the benefit of allowing people to see what a thread is about by making it start with the title … we all know what repo it’s gonna be about, so we moved that to the end (For some odd reason the repo is a required field in the subject)
By having every follow-up email be prefixed with “Re: “ every email client I tried, displayed it as a thread correctly.

So all in all we have changed in PLC4X:

  *   All dependabot stuff goes to commit@ (because nobody is actually interested in these emails)
  *   All PR and Issue emails go to dev, but with the updated format

Possibly worth thinking about updating the way we do it in iotdb.

Chris

Re: [DISCUSS] Change the notification settings ?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
If there are not yet, I'm sure we'll have them added soon. I just pinged them about it.

Chris

Gesendet von Outlook für Android<https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>
________________________________
I like the proposal. Just one question, how about email notifications
from Github Discussion? and are there any changes for JIRA Issue and
Github issue?

Best,
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University