Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2019/12/11 08:38:28 UTC

[DRAFT] December 2019 board report

Hi all,

I just whipped up our quarterly board report and would submit it this evening as today is the submission deadline.
If you have anything to add … please report this as soon as possible.

Chris.

The mission of the Apache PLC4X project is creating a set of libraries for
communicating with industrial programmable logic controllers (PLCs) using a
variety of protocols but with a shared API.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache PLC4X was founded 2019-04-17 (8 months ago) There are currently 9
committers and 9 PMC members in this project. The Committer-to-PMC ratio is
1:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Łukasz Dywicki on 2019-07-28.
- No new committers. Last addition was Łukasz Dywicki on 2019-07-28.

However we just invited Lukas Ott to join the project as a comitter and he has
accepted the invitation. We are now waiting for his ICLA to be recorded on file.

## Project Activity:

Releases:
- 0.5.0 was released on 2019-11-25

Community Events:
- 2019-09-09 - 2019-09-12 ApacheCon NA 2019, Las Vegas, US (Multiple talks and
  hackathon)
- 2019-09-24 IoT Hessen, Kassel, Germany (From the chip to the cloud with
  Apache)
- 2019-10-22 - 2019-10-24 ApacheCon EU 2019, Berlin, Germany (Multiple talks
  and hackathon)
- 2019-11-26 ElasticSearch UG Meetup, Frankfurt, Germany (Introduction
  Logstash PLC4X Plugin)
- 2019-12-03 Apache IoT @ JUG Saar, Saarbrücken, Germany (From the chip to the
  cloud with Apache)
- 2019-12-11 Apache NiFi + Hacking around the IoTree, Frankfurt, Germany
  (Apache NiFi PLC4X Integration)

We have been continuing to port existing drivers to the new code-generation
framework. Also have we been implementing new protocols (Mostly based on paid
gigs from the industry). A lot of bug-fixing has been done and we're looking
forward to a big refactoring and brainstorming Hackathon form 2019-12-17 -
2019-12-19 in Weinheim, where we are going to work on a proposal for the
version 1.0.0 API.

## Community Health:

This quarter for most of the time activity on the mailing-list and in the
commits had dropped to worrying levels. This was mainly related to high
workload on the day-jobs of the community members. However in the past 2-3
weeks a lot of new people have joined discussions and submitted PRs and the
existing comitter- and PMC activity has picked up again.

- dev@plc4x.apache.org had a 8% decrease in traffic in the past quarter (349
  emails compared to 379)
- issues@plc4x.apache.org had a 73% increase in traffic in the past quarter
  (132 emails compared to 76)
- 19 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (46% increase)
- 13 issues closed in JIRA, past quarter (62% increase)
- 309 commits in the past quarter (-20% decrease)
- 23 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (91% increase)
- 20 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (66% increase)
- 29 contributors which have contributed code to the git repo (up by 3)
- 142 Github Stars (up by 18 since last report) (up by 43)
- 272 @ApachePLC4X Twitter account followers (up by 86)

We are very happy to see more people joining in from companies reporting to
use Apache PLC4X.

Re: [DRAFT] December 2019 board report

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Julian,

well it WAS depressing :-(

... but I did also write:
However in the past 2-3 weeks a lot of new people have joined discussions and submitted PRs and the existing committer- and PMC activity has picked up again.

The board isn't going to take any action, but I thought it would be good to write it as objective as possible.
It shows that we are actively seeing and addressing things and not brushing things under the carpet.

Chris

Am 11.12.19, 10:55 schrieb "Julian Feinauer" <j....@pragmaticminds.de>:

    Hi,

    I think ist fine.
    It reads a bit more depressing then it should (if you see current list activity which is awesome and PRs from foreigners and stuff) but its fine : )

    Julian

    Am 11.12.19, 10:22 schrieb "Strljic, Matthias Milan" <ma...@isw.uni-stuttgart.de>:

        +1

        Fine for me 😉

        Matthias Strljic, M.Sc.

        Universität Stuttgart
        Institut für Steuerungstechnik der Werkzeugmaschinen und Fertigungseinrichtungen (ISW)

        Seidenstraße 36
        70174 Stuttgart
        GERMANY

        Tel: +49 711 685-84530