Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Burak Yýlmaz <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2007/07/30 17:50:00 UTC

How to change(override) application path

My question is related with java but i think the solution is at the tomcat global variables so i need this groups help.

I want my web links to be like www.mydomain.com/album/13

with the help of the front controller at java i will translate the url to www.mydomain.com/album.jsp?id=3 and dispatch it to the jsp file...

at web.xml i configured the url pattern like below

  <servlet>
	<servlet-name>Controller</servlet-name>
	<servlet-class>com.mydomain.Controller</servlet-class>
  </servlet>

  <servlet-mapping>
	<servlet-name>Controller</servlet-name>
	<url-pattern>/album/*</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

Everything is ok if i type the url like mydomain.com/album

But
if i type mydomain.com/album/ or mydomain.com/album/13 my pages are
displayed but the images,css files,js files cannot be imported....This
is because application tries to get the images from like
mycontext/album/images/xxx.gif but in fact the images are under
mycontext/images/xxx.gif

Because of this urlrewriting i have this path problem...So there must be some option i will re set exmp: TOMCAT.Application.Path="http://www.mydomain.com/" everytime after recreation of real url and my images and other files will be displayed correctly.

thank you

Burak

Re: How to change(override) application path

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
How is the jsp composing the relative urls to images and stylesheets?

I typically have jsps reference urls by doing
${pageContext.request.contextPath}/path/to/resource.jpg for example.
That fills in the context path and forms a site absolute path to the
resource.  The jsp can move around and more importantly the URL to it
can change without breaking links to resources.

--David

Posted by Lyallex <ly...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I've had all sorts of problems understanding how relative links are
resolved so I found this solution somewhere and it works well for me

All my pages import a header file (header.jsp) in header.jsp I have this

<%
String basePath = request.getScheme()+"://"+request.getServerName()+"/";
%>

  <head>
    <base href="<%=basePath%>">

Now I no longer have any problems with links not working, ever.

I have my app installed as the default app. If you are using a non
ROOT context you can append request.getContextPath() like this

<%
String basePath =
request.getScheme()+"://"+request.getServerName()+"/"+request.getContextPath()+"/";
%>

It works for me

Rgds
Duncan