Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/20 22:11:05 UTC

HEADER.html update during the release

Hi,

Does anybody know what is the purpose of HEADER.html which is located at
dist.apache.org?

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/jmeter/HEADER.html

The file is mentioned in https://wiki.apache.org/jmeter/ReleaseCreation,
however its purpose is obscure.

Why do we need to update that file during the release process?
I'm inclined to just drop the file or remove the version number from it.

Vladimir

Re: HEADER.html update during the release

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 at 12:49, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> sebb> OK to drop the version if it really is too much trouble to update, but
> sebb> the file needs to be kept.
>
> I guess the less complicated release process is the better.
>
> Those readme/header are not under
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jmeter/trunk/ source control, and it is
> not clear where they appear.

I already explained where they appear and where they are kept.
In the past they used to be kept on the website only, but the website
is now derived from dist.a.o.

Note that KEYS is in the same category - it is not stored in normal
source control tree.

> I don't like the idea of manual updates here and there.
> "download jmeter" results into https://jmeter.apache.org/download_jmeter.cgi
> for me, so I don't think having up to date version for "directory listings"
> matters much.

The archive server also makes use of the same files.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 at 23:11, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know what is the purpose of HEADER.html which is located at
> dist.apache.org?
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/jmeter/HEADER.html
>

> The file is mentioned in https://wiki.apache.org/jmeter/ReleaseCreation,
> however its purpose is obscure.

HEADER.html and README.html are standard files used by the Apache HTTP
server when generating directory listings.

It appears here:

http://www.apache.org/dist/jmeter/

> Why do we need to update that file during the release process?
> I'm inclined to just drop the file or remove the version number from it.

OK to drop the version if it really is too much trouble to update, but
the file needs to be kept.

Also need to keep README.html which provides the footer.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 at 11:34, Philippe Mouawad
<ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ok by me.
> Is there a way to also not use svnmucc ?

Why?

As I recall, it's pretty messy using plain SVN to update dist.a.o.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
ok by me.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: HEADER.html update during the release