Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Aleksandar Milanovic <am...@galdosinc.com> on 2002/09/25 21:22:12 UTC

Premature end of file

Hi All,

Xerces 2.1.0 keeps complaining about the premature end of file when
seemingly there is nothing wrong with the XML being parsed. This is what
happens:

An XML document fragment is serialized to a string, and then parsed using a
subclass of DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl called
ValidatorDocumentBuilderFactory, which in turn instantiates
ValidatorDocumentBuilders. This combination works fine with XML documents
that are received via HTTP. The problem arises when we perform validation of
some XML data in memory. As mentioned, we serialize the XML data to a
string, and then try to parse it using the ValidatorDocumentBuilder. The
following exception is thrown:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Premature end of file.
 at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.parse(DOMParser.java:267)
 at
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(DocumentBuilderImpl.java:20
1)
 at
mypackage.ValidatorDocumentBuilder.parse(ValidatorDocumentBuilder.java:92)

At first, we thought that the XML was not being serialized properly, but
when we redirected the serialization to a file, we couldn't find anything
wrong with it. It was a well-formed and valid XML document.
Since the problem happens deep in the DOMParser, I don't think it is related
to our subclasses. Could there be something wrong with the encoding? We set
it explicitly to UTF-8, but it didn't help.

thx
Alex