Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/27 16:05:02 UTC

[VOTE] Include version numbers in released JAR files

There is some disagreement among the PPMC members as to whether we
should include version numbers in our JAR files that we release, so
I'd like to call for a consensus vote:

Please cast your vote:
   [+1] include version numbers
   [=0] don't care
   [-1] don't include version numbers

For some background, here are some links that discuss this issue:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/119426/jar-file-naming-conventions
- advocates embedding the version number

http://javahowto.blogspot.com/2006/05/java-jar-file-naming-conventions-and.html
- advocates embedding the version number unless the JAR is distributed
in a larger deliverable

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/wasce/V2.1.0/en/adding-java-libraries.html
- advocates using a directory structure to partition JARs

** note that .NET does not embed version numbers in the file name.

Thanks!
-T

Re: [VOTE] Include version numbers in released JAR files

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Christopher Brind <br...@brindy.org.uk>.
+1